PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] Wired network problem

earthwarrior
December 6th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I have a Linksys BEFSR41 router connected to my computer with a cat5e ethernet cable. But the port indicator light on the router doesn't light up and ubuntu says no network device is available. I am running 8.10 on a dell desktop and the cable is connected to the built in ehternet port.

mhh91
December 6th, 2008, 07:09 PM
maybe there's something with the wiring,specially that the light in the router isn't on

earthwarrior
December 6th, 2008, 07:38 PM
maybe there's something with the wiring,specially that the light in the router isn't on

The cable is plugged in to both the router and computer and I tested ithe cable with another computer. I think the problem could be that ubuntu is somehow not detedticing the ethernet port it says unable to detect any network device.

theozzlives
December 6th, 2008, 07:45 PM
The cable is plugged in to both the router and computer and I tested ithe cable with another computer. I think the problem could be that ubuntu is somehow not detedticing the ethernet port it says unable to detect any network device.

Do you have a cable tester? I think it's a bad cable.

earthwarrior
December 6th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Do you have a cable tester? I think it's a bad cable.

I tested the cable with another computer and it workedfine , its a new cat5e etherenet cable.

theozzlives
December 6th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I tested the cable with another computer and it workedfine , its a new cat5e etherenet cable.

Then a bad NIC

iwc5893
December 6th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Or a bad port on the router....provided that the ethernet interface on the computer is actually enabled.

nolewatcher
December 6th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Might be none of those things.....might be the driver for your NIC. I have had problems ever since I went to UBUNTU 8.10, it installs the wrong driver for my RTL8101 NIC. I have been going in circles trying to get it configured where it will even see the 'network device'.

adaptr
December 6th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Might be none of those things.....might be the driver for your NIC.
Nope.
A functioning NIC will always light at least one LED when a functioning cable is connected to another functioning device.
OS or driver have nothing to do with this, it is hardware.
So if the LED is not lit, that means it's definitely a hardware issue.

earthwarrior
December 7th, 2008, 12:28 AM
So its probably a hardware issue and I still have warranty but I would have to reinstall XP to get warranty service. Is there a howto on installing windows without wiping out ubuntu?

1OldDog2
December 7th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I have a Linksys BEFSR41 router connected to my computer with a cat5e ethernet cable. But the port indicator light on the router doesn't light up and ubuntu says no network device is available. I am running 8.10 on a dell desktop and the cable is connected to the built in ehternet port.
I think you will find the default ip address is the same on the network card and the linksys befsr41. In windows you have to change the address of the router to 192.168.2.1 instead of the default 192.168.1.1. to get the system to work with this cabel/dsl router. Then the ip address of the computer has to be released and renewed. Linksys has a q&a on this procedure for windows I was looking here to see if anyone had done it for Linux. Reboot after you change it and everything should work fine. I have this same box and I was looking here to find the procedure for doing just this when I stumbled over your post.

earthwarrior
December 10th, 2008, 02:21 AM
the problem was that the integrated NIC was disabled in the BIOS setup.