PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] how to install programs i need help :(

homerm06
December 6th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Sorry guys, I'm a big noob!

I need help on how to install programs such as Yahoo Messenger, Avast, and some other programs. I don't know whether to get deb files or rem or tar g something. I should let you know that I'm a Vista user just trying to use Ubuntu. So I'm used to just clicking a folder and clicking "Install." Is there a way?

By the way, I save all files to my desktop for easy access.

taurus
December 6th, 2008, 06:13 PM
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

lovelyvik293
December 6th, 2008, 06:16 PM
First of all do not post these type of things here post them to the absolute biggners section.
Now the avast is not avaliable for Ubuntu.Yahoo messanger is avaliable and can be download from it's site.
And if you want to install other softwares for ubuntu you dont have to download the deb files manualy just go to the synaptic manager(System->administration->synaptic) and download the software.

birddog165
December 6th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Part of the fun of Ubuntu is that you get to try out new programs. I used to be a die hard AIM fan. Now I use Pidgin. You should at least give it a try. Here are some screenshots:
Google Images: Pidgin (http://images.google.com/images?q=pidgin&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi)

Also, I didn't know what Avast was so I looked it up. I think that it's an anti-virus program. The other fun part of Ubuntu is that you really don't need anti-virus/spyware/advare...etc programs. Nobody writes viruses for linux because it's so much more effective to hack windows.
[Anyone can please correct me on this if I am wrong]

Good luck

homerm06
December 6th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Part of the fun of Ubuntu is that you get to try out new programs. I used to be a die hard AIM fan. Now I use Pidgin. You should at least give it a try. Here are some screenshots:
Google Images: Pidgin (http://images.google.com/images?q=pidgin&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi)

Also, I didn't know what Avast was so I looked it up. I think that it's an anti-virus program. The other fun part of Ubuntu is that you really don't need anti-virus/spyware/advare...etc programs. Nobody writes viruses for linux because it's so much more effective to hack windows.
[Anyone can please correct me on this if I am wrong]

Good luck

Yeah, I love[d] Yahoo! but now on Ubuntu I use Pidgin. I was just using those as examples. I know, somewhat, that Ubuntu is a bit harder to break into virus wise. I just needed help on how to really install RPMs, DEBs, or TAR GZ files. It's just that I'm so used Vista and like I said, I'm used just clicking the folder and installing what's inside :( The only thing is that I love Ubuntu. So I don't wanna abandon it.

Shwefty
December 6th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Okay, well let me tell you the easy way:

Applications -> Add/Remove Programs

Search for the program you want...you really do want Pidgin instead of Yahoo, it'll do Yahoo Messenger too. Select it in the check box, hit Apply Changes!

You shouldn't really need Avast!. But check out this link https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus

I've been using Ubuntu since August I believe, and I've never used antivirus and never needed to.

homerm06
December 6th, 2008, 06:27 PM
First of all do not post these type of things here post them to the absolute biggners section.
Now the avast is not avaliable for Ubuntu.Yahoo messanger is avaliable and can be download from it's site.
And if you want to install other softwares for ubuntu you dont have to download the deb files manualy just go to the synaptic manager(System->administration->synaptic) and download the software.

Yeah, sorry about that. I just used those as examples. But about that synaptic deal, Can I also install actual Linux appropriate programs?

Shwefty
December 6th, 2008, 06:28 PM
And, Ubuntu uses .deb files, but for the most part, if you want to avoid the command line, Add/Remove Programs or the alternate System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager will have the files you want.

First, go to Add/Remove Programs, it's much easier to use than Synaptic (well, not easier, but seemingly easier).

homerm06
December 6th, 2008, 06:30 PM
And, Ubuntu uses .deb files, but for the most part, if you want to avoid the command line, Add/Remove Programs or the alternate System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager will have the files you want.

First, go to Add/Remove Programs, it's much easier to use than Synaptic (well, not easier, but seemingly easier).

AHHHH Now I get it! DUH. I'm sorry guys. I'm just a noob with too many questions :)

Shwefty
December 6th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Nah man! You've gotta learn somehow! I was just as nooby or noobier starting off. Glad I could help, make sure to mark it [Solved] in the thread tools!