PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem installing

Wenge
December 6th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I just downloaded and burnt the Ubuntu 8.10 desktop CD and booted from it in my Toshiba laptop. The installer pops up and I select the install option. Everything seems to go fine then I get lots of "write erros" and eventually I am just left at a command prompt.

There is a version of Windows 2000 on this laptop so it's possible there is not enough drive space or something along those lines. The install of Windows 2000 does not matter to me so can be erased. How can I format the drive from the prompt?

taurus
December 6th, 2008, 05:29 PM
How fast did you burn the ISO image? At the first menu, did you pick the option to scan cd for defects? What's the spec of your laptop?

Wenge
December 6th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I burnt the image at 24x. I didn't scan for defects but I just have now and it found no errors with it. Laptop is a 800MHz Celeron, 256MB ram and a 10GB hard drive.

rich1939
December 6th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I just downloaded and burnt the Ubuntu 8.10 desktop CD and booted from it in my Toshiba laptop. The installer pops up and I select the install option. Everything seems to go fine then I get lots of "write erros" and eventually I am just left at a command prompt.

There is a version of Windows 2000 on this laptop so it's possible there is not enough drive space or something along those lines. The install of Windows 2000 does not matter to me so can be erased. How can I format the drive from the prompt?

I too just downloaded, burned and installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my Toshiba laptop that had Windows 2000 installed. Since my laptop had only a 20Gb hard drive, I decided to let Ubuntu use the entire space (which, as I recall) is an option when I installed.

I believe that if you let Ubuntu use the entire hard drive when you install, it will work for you. If you have further problems with trying to use a wireless card, etc., let me know and maybe I can help. I'm relatively new to Ubuntu but I have travelled much of the same road that you are now taking.

Wenge
December 7th, 2008, 04:41 PM
rich1939 - Thanks! I may need your help once I get it installed.

Still having trouble getting it to install. I tried running the OS live off the CD to see if that would work after a while of it doing things I just get a black screen. :(

oldos2er
December 7th, 2008, 07:11 PM
You might want to try the alternate install disc. The LiveCD requires a minimum 384MB to run properly.