PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Multiple network interfaces

PACSFerret
December 6th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Hi.. Since upgrading to 8.10 I have a sub-optimal networking setup. I have 3 possible interfaces - wired, wireless and mobile broadband. The optimal scenario is for Network Manager to bind the wired if available, if not then the wireless, and if not then the mobile broadband.

In fact, what is happening is even when the wired is plugged in, NM binds the wireless, and I need to disable wireless at NM but then go to a terminal to restart networking for it to pick up wired. Even then, NM doesn't see the wired connection.

That creates an issue when I have a different wired connection (home: DHCP, work:static) so I need to manually configure interfaces according to location.

This stuff should be transparent no? Or am I doing something particularly dim?

PS NM upgrade is nontheless welcome. Wasn't able to get the mobile broadband working at all previously.

moore.bryan
December 6th, 2008, 02:12 PM
for what it's worth, i was never able to get nm working on any of my machines, ever. my solution was to go to wicd (http://wicd.sourceforge.net/) and use that instead. wicd currently lets me do what you want to do, minus the mobile broadband, since i don't have it.

PACSFerret
December 6th, 2008, 10:58 PM
for what it's worth, i was never able to get nm working on any of my machines, ever. my solution was to go to wicd (http://wicd.sourceforge.net/) and use that instead. wicd currently lets me do what you want to do, minus the mobile broadband, since i don't have it.

Thanks Bryan. Alas now I have it working the mobile broadband is important to me. If anyone has notes on getting wicd to work with mobile I'd be grateful and certainly give it a go.

PS. Illustrious name given rugby connections.

moore.bryan
December 7th, 2008, 02:30 AM
no worries... rugby is my religion. ;-)

you may still want to check-out the wicd page to see if anything mentions mobile broadband access; i just don't need it, so i don't know.