PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu or Kubuntu ?

terrordrone
December 6th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Hi,

I want to switch from OpenSuse11 to Kubuntu or Ubuntu + kde 4. I am unable to decide. I had used ubuntu 8.04 and really loved it. My wireless card is a broadcom chip. Will the method for ubuntu 8.04 work on either of the OS?

terrordrone
December 6th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Id like to know if installing kubuntu is better or ubuntu with kde4 ?

OrangeCrate
December 6th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Personally, I like Gnome over KDE. I guess it's a matter of whether you like the crisp look of Windows (KDE), or the softer look of a Mac (Gnome). I prefer the later. But, to answer your question...

The internals are the same, they're both Ubuntu inside. Frankly, it's a matter of personal choice. But, if you install KDE over Ubuntu, you'll have access to both by simply switching sessions at log-in. If you install just Kubuntu, that's all you'll have.

Instructions to add KDE to Ubuntu are here:

http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde

(BTW, the community is world wide. Some are up, some are sleeping. Good form on the forums, is not to bump threads within a 24 hour period.)

m_duck
December 6th, 2008, 02:28 PM
If you're going to be using KDE for sure anyway, it would make sense to just install Kubuntu. This is the same as Ubuntu underneath but has KDE as its DE along with KDE apps. If you are wanting to play around with Gnome as well, you could install Kubuntu, then install the "ubuntu-desktop" package, or install Ubuntu and then install the "kubuntu-desktop" package. The DE can then be selected on the log in screen.

lukjad
December 6th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Since you seem to be ending up at the same point, I would say just install Kubuntu. If you install Ubuntu then KDE, you'll just be doing extra downloading and configuring. It's up to you. Unless there is some point or reason I'm missing.

sambita
December 6th, 2008, 03:06 PM
since you seem to be ending up at the same point, i would say just install kubuntu. If you install ubuntu then kde, you'll just be doing extra downloading and configuring. It's up to you. Unless there is some point or reason i'm missing.

+1

terrordrone
December 6th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks for your inputs guys... Im on Kubuntu 8.10