PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is it possible to share one /home between two OS's?

AbdulRahiem
December 6th, 2008, 11:06 AM
So, I discovered that my laptop supports 64-bit. I installed successfully into a separate partition. Now I am running UbuntuME 8.10 and Ubuntu 64-bit 8.10. UbuntuME is essentially the same as ordinary 32-bit intrepid, except for appearance and some third-party software.

What I should like to know is what would happen if I were to designate the same /home directory for both OS's when (re-)installing 64?. If it is possible,then, for example, evolution would access the same mail folders, whether I run it on ME or 64.

Presumably, it is not possible to upgrade my ME 32-bit to 64-bit? Is it? (Automatic upgrading from ME 8.04 to 8.10 went smoothly, though, using packet manager.)

Apologies if these are silly questions.

Regards

AbdulRahiem

pluckypigeon
December 6th, 2008, 11:10 AM
yes

sdennie
December 6th, 2008, 11:22 AM
It generally doesn't cause any problems to share a /home directory between different flavors/versions of Ubuntu. In one case I tried about 8 different flavors/versions without changing out the /home directory and encountered no problems at all.