PDA

View Full Version : will there be further development of kde3?

chucky chuckaluck
December 6th, 2008, 02:05 AM
there must be a lot of people who don't like the direction that kde4 has gone in, not because it's bad, but because it is so different from kde3 (and, i'm sure, there must be many for whom kde4 is a delightful surprise). so, will what kde3 was be improved upon, or is it pretty much dead?

MaxIBoy
December 6th, 2008, 02:58 AM
If enough people request continued support, it will likely get continued support (or some other group could even take it over.)

dizee
December 6th, 2008, 03:37 AM
I think it's going to get bugfixes as long as people are using it but not new features.

Grant A.
December 6th, 2008, 04:48 AM
The KDE team said that as long as KDE3 has a steady userbase, it will continue to stay in development. I wouldn't compare KDE 3.5.10 to KDE 4.1 though, that's like comparing KDE 2.5 to 3.1.

Vince4Amy
December 6th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I thing that there will be community support at the very least, and yes I like KDE 4, but it's not stable enough yet for usage.

I like the concept, I like the way it works, I like the widgets and all that stuff. But I can't be using a DE Which constantly crashes for simple things such as changing a widget icon, it's not good enough for day to day use on a production machine.

I'll be using 3.5.x until KDE 4 is more stable and mature.

Giant Speck
December 6th, 2008, 11:16 AM
With Kubuntu specifically, I would imagine that support would have to continue for KDE 3.5.10, considering that it is the primary version of KDE for Hardy Heron, which is a long-term support version.

BigSilly
December 6th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I thing that there will be community support at the very least, and yes I like KDE 4, but it's not stable enough yet for usage.

I like the concept, I like the way it works, I like the widgets and all that stuff. But I can't be using a DE Which constantly crashes for simple things such as changing a widget icon, it's not good enough for day to day use on a production machine.

I'll be using 3.5.x until KDE 4 is more stable and mature.

Are you using the 177.xx Nvidia drivers? The way I understand it, they've recently fixed a load of bugs with the new 180.xx driver release that solve issues like this. I myself am using Mandriva 2009 with the 177.xx drivers, and I get these types of bug, such as glitchy panel when using Open Office and writing emails with Thunderbird. Lot's of people are reporting improvements on the Nvidia forums and the Mandriva ones too. I'm going to hang on until they put the new driver into the official repository myself.

I like both KDE3 and 4, so I hope they keep up development of both. After a shaky start with KDE4 though, I'm finding myself really enjoying it at the moment. It's going to get even better.

Vince4Amy
December 6th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Nope ATI Only here.