PDA

View Full Version : [other] Why so many problems with xorg

frostwyrm333
December 5th, 2008, 11:34 PM
This is a noob question but i didnt find any information about this.
Why xorg has so many problems? Everything depends on it, its unstable, because of stupid issue you have to restart whole system.
Open source software has its problems, but i think this is a very big issue.

utsuprainfra
December 5th, 2008, 11:36 PM
This is a noob question but i didnt find any information about this.
Why xorg has so many problems? Everything depends on it, its unstable, because of stupid issue you have to restart whole system.
Open source software has its problems, but i think this is a very big issue.

You can restart X with Control-Alt-Backspace. Actually that would probably kill it, but your runlevel would probably respawn after you killed it.

What problem are you encountering?

MarblePanther
December 5th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I read on Phoronix that there is another server in the works intended to be lighter, etc...

Who knows...

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?p=32563

Zorael
December 5th, 2008, 11:40 PM
You're very vague.

Keep in mind that X can be restarted with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, whereas if something happens with the GUI in Windows you *have* to reboot.

X has been rock steady for me since Feisty, and it's even smoother now after Hardy, as I really don't have to open up its configuration file at all, ever. Everything's autodetected, everything works nicely.

snova
December 6th, 2008, 12:29 AM
If you have a problem, ask for help, don't just complain.

There is next to no chance this is actually a problem with X anyway, more likely a driver or application.

frostwyrm333
December 6th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Thanks for answers. Yes, i know about ctrl+alt+backspace. There was one program, i even forgot the name, it freezed and the rest of system did not respond.

So the thing is that problem is about infrasctructure, and things in development.Its rather complicated.
I would have to research to really understand it. :/
I hope things will eventually get better.