PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] stupid newbie question: LiveCD vs synaptic packages

Thriell
December 5th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Another question from the clueless newbie:

What's the difference between downloading and installing the kubuntu LiveCD and just using the synaptic package manager to download and install the kubuntu packages?

I'm guessing that using the package manager would give one the choice between gnome and kde, but is that the only difference?

I've discovered I *REALLY* like KDE much better than gnome.

snowpine
December 5th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Hi Thriell,

No need to re-install, the following terminal command (or you can use synaptic, but why bother?) will install Kubuntu on top of your existing Ubuntu install, preserving all of your documents and settings:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

You can then switch between KDE and Gnome at the login screen by choosing Options->Settings.

Alternately, you can completely remove Gnome and install KDE with this handy tutorial (just copy and paste the line of code into the terminal):

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde

Good luck!

Michael.Godawski
December 5th, 2008, 09:17 PM
When you start the Live CD session nothing is installed yet. The whole Ubuntu/Kubuntu OS is run within your RAM. When you choose to install it, then the system files are transferred to the hard drive.

Once installed you can use the Synaptic Package Manager to download and install applications. These come in form of packages.

You cannot put a versus between the Live CD and Synaptic. These are two different stories.

Edit : I somehow misunderstood you ... do what snowpine suggested. Am I getting older :) ?

Paqman
December 5th, 2008, 09:18 PM
What's the difference between downloading and installing the kubuntu LiveCD and just using the synaptic package manager to download and install the kubuntu packages?

The Kubuntu packages (ie: kubuntu-desktop) will obviously be a much smaller download than a whole LiveCD. But otherwise they're exactly the same packages.

Psychocats has a good guide to removing Gnome and installing KDE (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde).

Thriell
December 7th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Thanks for your answers. You've all been very helpful.