PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Live USB access question

copius
December 5th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I'm relatively new to using Ubuntu and have found it to be interesting. I have been able to create a Live USB from both a Live CD (using boot creator) and Windows(following instructions from pendrivelinux).

Currently, if I am loading the system from the Ubuntu Live USB, I always have an error that is similar to "cannot mount this partition." That is probably not exactly the same phrase, but it doesn't let me access the other information on the USB flash drive.

I wanted to know if there was possibly some way to access files I put on the flash drive from both Ubuntu and Windows regardless of which system I use to place the files from.

Is my only option to format the drive into 2 separate partitions and use one as an universal storage?

What is an ideal size for an installation provided I would like to keep Ubuntu updated with patches, etc.?

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

copius
December 6th, 2008, 06:31 AM
It seems that I would have to create another partition on the USB flash drive. The first partition would be the installation and the second partition would be the universal storage area.

Found the solution from a post back in April
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4715531#post4715531