PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to do an upgrade with an Install CD?

manoka
December 5th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Hello,
As I would like to upgrade to Ubuntu 8.10 with an Install CD - actually I would have preferred to upgrade to 8.04 LTS, but I couldn't get a CD for that release anymore - I'm looking for informations about how to save my files and applications, and how to make them available again, respectively to connect them with the new OS after the installation.
I have two hard drives, so I would prefer to use one just for the OS and the applications, and the other for the files.
Any detailed step by step help would be very much appreciated by a newbie.
manoka

jenkinbr
December 5th, 2008, 03:41 PM
There's no reason you shouldn't be able to get an 8.04 CD (actually, at this point, it'll be 8.04.1)

While on http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download, be sure you select the Long Term Support release option before downloading.

By "upgrade from CD", do you mean running a dist-upgrade like you would with an online computer from the repositories, or do you mean a clean install?

aysiu
December 5th, 2008, 03:56 PM
You can't upgrade from the Desktop CD.

You need the Alternate CD.

manoka
December 6th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks jenkinbr and aysiu.
As I did an upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10 via an online download which left me with an OS that doesn't work very well, I would like to upgrade but this time with a clean install using an Install CD Desktop Edition or whatever will be suitable to do so.
I wonder whether I can save the downloaded applications software and use it with the newly installed OS, and if yes, how.
What is an "Alternate CD" and where can I get it?