PDA

View Full Version : No guis please

nothingspecial
December 5th, 2008, 02:41 PM
We have four computers in our house.

1 PC running 8.04

1 All singing, all dancing laptop running 8.10

And 2 aspire one`s running 8.10 (both with 120g hard drives)

We`ve got a fancy home network where all media files are connected to the pc and we can access them all from wherever, and all print to the same printer etc etc.

I`m trying to learn linux/unix properly and would like to install something on all the computers to aid me. I just want the shell. But I would like (if possible) for all (most) of the hardware to work.

Just tried puppy and damn small but all I really want is the shell. I would like to try to set up a home network like I`ve got, from the command line, on the same computers, without harming what I`ve already got.

So new partitions on all of them, but what to install?

Thanks

geoken
December 5th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Why don't you just kill the display manager or log into a session with no DE?

forrestcupp
December 5th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Try Ubuntu's server edition.

chucky chuckaluck
December 5th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Why don't you just kill the display manager or log into a session with no DE?

+1. then, you can add screen and dvtm which will give you more options for window management (yup, even in the console). elinks is my favorite text browser. nano, or vim, for a text editor. cplay, mpd+ncmpc or cmus are all great for music. mc for a file manager (or, just use terminal commands). streamripper is something i can't do without, but maybe you already have enough music. cdcd for playing cds.

Thelasko
December 5th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Try Ubuntu's server edition.

or install Debian.

kelean
December 5th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Try INX linux it is cammand line only and is a tool to learn the command line. Check out this thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=859914&highlight=inx+linux

It is a live cd and very cool. I hope it is something that will help.

Kelean.

chris4585
December 5th, 2008, 05:45 PM
+1 on INX

INX was built for this sort of thing, it should be recognized more

INX is one of the friendliest console based distros out there

nothingspecial
December 5th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Try INX linux it is cammand line only and is a tool to learn the command line. Check out this thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=859914&highlight=inx+linux

It is a live cd and very cool. I hope it is something that will help.

Kelean.

This is just what I was looking for. I want to really play with the system and don`t want to break my existing set up. Cheers.