PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop deadlocked when leaving Ubuntu alone for a while

dvdkhlng
December 5th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Hi fellow Ubuntuers,

I recently installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 amd64 on my workstation (had previously used 7.04). Now when I leave my computer for lunch, and return, the display is black, and the mousepointer invisible unless I move the mouse. Looks like the 'blank' screensaver wreaking havoc. I have to press ctrl+alt+bkspace and re-login to continue working.

I already unchecked 'Activate Screensaver when compute is idle' in the 'screensaver preferences'. And set 'put display to sleep' to 'never' in power management prefs. This doesn't help, unfortunately.

Switching to a console, while the Desktop is locked, I run 'pstree' but can't see any unusual running programs. In my /var/log/syslog, I have lots of error lines:

Dec 5 13:22:15 kuehling kernel: [ 8892.800730] gnome-screensav[6161]: segfault at 21 rip 7f7da28ca8d4 rsp 7fffac185cc0 error 4

Strange, isn't it, given that the screensaver is disabled. But could this explain the error?

I run the 'nv' xorg driver, and put the following lines into my xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Boardname "blabla"
Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
Driver "nv"
Option "Rotate" "RandR"
Option "ShadowFB" "on"
Screen 0
EndSection

I configured 'Screen Resolution' to use Rotation: Left.

According to lspci, my graphics hardware is:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce 7600 GS] (rev a1)

Any ideas what's going on? If this is really the screensaver, then how do I completely force if off? Any similar problems known?

Thanks for any help,
cheers,

David

dvdkhlng
December 8th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Update: It just happened to me again, coming back from lunch, the desktop was blanked. This time I switched to a console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and issued

killall gnome-screensaver

which returned me to my desktop. So is this really a problem caused by a non-responding screensaver?

David

druellan
December 8th, 2008, 02:49 PM
On my Ibex, gnome-screensaver ALWAYS ask for a password after resume. Perhaps the problem is related to that: the relogin window is not showing up properly. Try typing your password and pressing enter to troubleshoot that.