PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Epson Perfection 2480 PHOTO scanner installation problem.

GrenadierExercise
December 5th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I have recently installed Ubuntu 8.10 desktop amd64 version on my HP Compaq Preario SR1519UK AMD 64 Athlon Desktop as sole system.
All works fine except (there always has to be one fly-in-the-ointment) the system does not seem to find or recognise my scanner, an Epson Perfection 2480 PHOTO.
I have tried with the scanner plugged-in and unplugged (USB) at start up with the same result. XSane image scanner returns the error message "Failed to open device 'snapscan:libusb:003:003'; Invalid argument."
The Sane Project seems to support my scanner with driver "esfw41.bin".
The system recognises other hardware - Epson D92 printer and HP DeskJet 895C printer which both work OK. All other features work fine - email, web browser, speakers and display, with no crashes or unexpected results.
Can anyone help me to get my scanner working please?

markofealing
December 5th, 2008, 08:14 PM
If it is any consolation, I can't get my P Scanjet C7400 scanner to work in either the 64 or 32 bit version of Kubuntu 8.10 via USB (two different PCs).

The scanner is recognised by xsane and gscan2pdf but both cause X to crash and generate an error "could not start ksmserver".