PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Ubuntu without cd-rom or network

generic_idea_machine
December 5th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Hi all,

I have no network, cd-rom or floppy on this one spare laptop I have. The laptop cannot boot through usb and I have already tried the netboot option (Ubuntu installer)...but it's not working for me.

What are my options here? I have heard that I can get a converting cable, which will allow me to hookup a desktop cdrom tray to my laptop. Can someone please help me out on this one? Which cable should I exactly be looking @ for this specific purpose.

thanks!

Nathan Sweeney
December 5th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Hi all,

I have no network, cd-rom or floppy on this one spare laptop I have. The laptop cannot boot through usb and I have already tried the netboot option (Ubuntu installer)...but it's not working for me.

What are my options here? I have heard that I can get a converting cable, which will allow me to hookup a desktop cdrom tray to my laptop. Can someone please help me out on this one? Which cable should I exactly be looking @ for this specific purpose.

thanks!

How old is this laptop? What are the specs? Are you even sure that it can run ubuntu? I don't know what you mean by converting cable, convert to what? I am assuming convert from IDE but I don't know to what it could convert to.

generic_idea_machine
December 5th, 2008, 08:00 AM
How old is this laptop? What are the specs? Are you even sure that it can run ubuntu? I don't know what you mean by converting cable, convert to what? I am assuming convert from IDE but I don't know to what it could convert to.

It fairly old. I've had it for about 8 years now. It's a Toshiba Satellite 2600 DVD model.
The laptop has a win2k installation on it right now and it functions without any problems per say. When it comes to running Ubuntu, it exceeds the specs for minimum requirements. However I am planning to through Ubuntu Server/Lamp on it for a basic web-server/wiki/wordpress project and it should be able to handle the load.

As for conversion. I have no idea. All I need it to plug in a regular desktop DVD to the laptop. What kind of cabling do I need for this?

thanks!

girishsasikumar
December 5th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I suggest you try installing it through the USB drive ....
This definitely works, if ur system supports USB boot
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/11/04/live-ubuntu-810-usb-persistent-install-windows/

generic_idea_machine
December 6th, 2008, 06:05 AM
I suggest you try installing it through the USB drive ....
This definitely works, if ur system supports USB boot
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/11/04/live-ubuntu-810-usb-persistent-install-windows/

Thanks. My laptop does not support usb boot.

generic_idea_machine
December 24th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Any other tips?

Is there a way I can partition the drive and then run the install from the HDD itself?

atm the laptop is running win2k pro

Nathan Sweeney
December 25th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Would Wubi work in this case? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide