PDA

View Full Version : Nicotine+

sw1995
December 5th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Allo,

Is anybody else having trouble running Nicotine+ in Intrepid? When I open the program it just stalls and I have to force quit. This is frustrating because I NEEEEEED this program:)

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I am not having much luck researching this on my own.

-S

kk0sse54
December 5th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Don't install the one from the repos instead download the svn version of the site or the alpha of 1.2.10 ( I suggest the svn since it has some bug fixes not in the alpha) as it's much more up to date and has a lot more features (private rooms as one) and might help solve your problem.
http://www.nicotine-plus.org/

sw1995
December 5th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Thanks! I just tried both of the versions you mentioned and when I still open Nicotine it just hangs. The window is there, but the text disappears and I get nowhere. Any other suggestions?

OffHand
December 5th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Thanks! I just tried both of the versions you mentioned and when I still open Nicotine it just hangs. The window is there, but the text disappears and I get nowhere. Any other suggestions?

Can you start Nicotine+ from the terminal and post the traceback please.

And please use the svn version as it's the most current.

sw1995
December 7th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Hi there,

Thanks for you help - here is what I get:

stev@queequeg:~$ cd nicotine+/
stev@queequeg:~/nicotine+$ ./nicotine
Your X can handle RGBA, but your window manager cannot. Not enabling transparancy.

OffHand
December 8th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Hi there,

Thanks for you help - here is what I get:

stev@queequeg:~$ cd nicotine+/
stev@queequeg:~/nicotine+$ ./nicotine
Your X can handle RGBA, but your window manager cannot. Not enabling transparancy.

Update to the latest svn please. This should be fixed now.

svn up

Let me know how that works out. Should be fixed (http://www.nicotine-plus.org/changeset/779).

pt123
December 8th, 2008, 03:10 AM
How long has Nicotine+ 1.2.10alpha been in alpha .9 was released in Sept. 07

OffHand
December 8th, 2008, 10:34 AM
How long has Nicotine+ 1.2.10alpha been in alpha .9 was released in Sept. 07

Dunno... I always use svn and I can recommend anyone using that as well. It is the most current version and works perfectly fine.

http://www.nicotine-plus.org/wiki/NicotineFromSubversion

pt123
December 10th, 2008, 11:22 AM
anyone chance of them releasing a DEB?

OffHand
December 10th, 2008, 12:17 PM
anyone chance of them releasing a DEB?

Possibly but no ETA. Running N+ from source is really easy (http://www.nicotine-plus.org/wiki/NicotineFromSubversion) though

I have attached a script to launch N+. Open the script in a text editor and put in the right paths (you will know what I mean if you see the script, if not ask). You can make a new menu item with Main Menu under System > Preferences. Point it to the script. The script will update N+ every time you launch it.

p.s. make the script executable (right click > properties > permissions)

pt123
December 15th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Possibly but no ETA. Running N+ from source is really easy (http://www.nicotine-plus.org/wiki/NicotineFromSubversion) though
p.s. make the script executable (right click > properties > permissions)
Thanks but I prefer, DEBS much easier to uninstall them and hence maintain the system.

kk0sse54
December 15th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks but I prefer, DEBS much easier to uninstall them and hence maintain the system.

What so hard about just deleting the folder when you no longer want the program :confused: or in order to update just

cd nicotine+ <or whever you stored the folder>
svn up

It's not like you have to compile the program, just download the source and run the executable.

OffHand
December 15th, 2008, 11:08 PM
What so hard about just deleting the folder when you no longer want the program :confused: or in order to update just

cd nicotine+ <or whever you stored the folder>
svn up

It's not like you have to compile the program, just download the source and run the executable.

Exactly

pt123
December 17th, 2008, 09:47 AM
What so hard about just deleting the folder when you no longer want the program It's not like you have to compile the program, just download the source and run the executable.

You still have to open the script and look into where it's going dump itself. Then later on you when you need uninstall it you have to remember the location.
Absolutely inconvenient esp. when Ubuntu offers a unified package system.

One of the reasons I swapped from Windows, as OS where programs defecate anywhere they feel like.

OffHand
December 17th, 2008, 09:56 AM
You still have to open the script and look into where it's going dump itself. Then later on you when you need uninstall it you have to remember the location.
Absolutely inconvenient esp. when Ubuntu offers a unified package system.

One of the reasons I swapped from Windows, as OS where programs defecate anywhere they feel like.

Whatever floats your boat mate but then you will have to wait.