PDA

View Full Version : What webmail do you use?

josephellengar
December 5th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Just curious. I just switched to gmail.

magmon
December 5th, 2008, 03:16 AM
I have used msn for 5 years, I still have a @msn.com email haha.

klange
December 5th, 2008, 03:17 AM
I run my own mail server out of my basement, and while I have remote IMAP all up and running, I prefer to use a customized install of RoundCube, complete with my own Tango icon theme and some visual changes.

josephellengar
December 5th, 2008, 03:17 AM
I should have put MSN in the poll. oops.

magmon
December 5th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Msn is now hotmail

-grubby
December 5th, 2008, 03:19 AM
Gmail

Giant Speck
December 5th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Gmail is my primary account, followed by Hotmail, and Yahoo! (which I don't use anymore)

I also have a GI Mail account (@gimail.af.mil) that I have all my important financial and military stuff sent to.

richg
December 5th, 2008, 03:28 AM
I have been using Yahoo email since early 1998. Very good anti virus and spam control. I also have started using Gmail. My stepson and I have Charter cable. His Charter email which he does not use very much has so much spam, he started using Yahoo email. I could have a Charter account also but choose not to. Why mess with what works.

Rich

Dr Small
December 5th, 2008, 03:33 AM
I run my own mailserver (Postfix) and have Squirrelmail setup along with IMAP for mutt and gnubiff-gtk for checking my mail on the network :)

jmacx81
December 5th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Gmail and also AKO (Army Knowledge Online) Webmail that every from work gets sent to.

klange
December 5th, 2008, 03:47 AM
I run my own mailserver (Postfix) and have Squirrelmail setup along with IMAP for mutt and gnubiff-gtk for checking my mail on the network :)
I used to have Squirrel back when I was hosting elsewhere, never really liked it much. RoundCube is a nice interface, though it breaks on older browsers and requires extensive Javascript - but its features also make it an excellent replacement for a typical mail application like Thunderbird.

e: Just installed gnubiff, pretty nifty. Changed the icons to two mail icons from Tango.

chucky chuckaluck
December 5th, 2008, 03:54 AM
i have over 120 yahoo accounts, but i mostly use gmail.

magmon
December 5th, 2008, 03:55 AM
120?! How do you remember them all???

klange
December 5th, 2008, 04:01 AM

A better question is why does he have over 120.

cardinals_fan
December 5th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Gmail. Hotmail is an unacceptably poor product.

magmon
December 5th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Bah! Hotmail works fine for what I use it for.

WaeV
December 5th, 2008, 04:22 AM
I used to use the email provided by my ISP, but I switched to gmail when I moved years ago, back when you needed an invite. I'm loving the new themes. Space all the way!

joeblogg
December 5th, 2008, 04:24 AM
i use hotmail and basically always have. i still don't get how gmail is so popular on this poll and many other online polls when statistics say hotmail is still more popular.

dannytatom
December 5th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Gmail for personal stuff, Gmail (setup to work with my domain) for work-related stuff, and hotmail for spam.

Woormy
December 5th, 2008, 05:28 AM
I've been using Hotmail/MSN for years mostly because I knew it would always exist and for the sake on not having to inform everyone of a new address. Occassionally I think of changing but I can't find anything I really like lots more. If I could, I would change. I don't want to use Gmail.

WaeV
December 5th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Why not gmail?

vacc73
December 5th, 2008, 05:40 AM
I use gmail of course, although yahoo is good for collecting all the spam, it seems to go there and not to gmail. I use msn to im my daughter with pidgin. I am still in the process of converting her to linux.( a father's work is never done!)):P:popcorn:

WaeV
December 5th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to rave about gmail's spam filter. I currently have... 1031 spam emails in my spam folder, and it automatically deletes those older than 30 days. That means I get... over 34 spams a day, lol. I only get like 4 a year in my inbox.

abhilashm86
December 5th, 2008, 05:50 AM
i use gmail 4r proffesional use,with yahoo i chat n discuss n have fun!!!!!!!!lol

mhh91
December 5th, 2008, 05:53 AM
i have plenty of webmails,i have hotmail,yahoo,gmail and AIM,but i use hotmail the most :)

Woormy
December 5th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Why not gmail?

Call me paranoid but I try to keep Google at arms distance. I actually do have a Gmail account through work but I've never used it.

WaeV
December 5th, 2008, 06:06 AM
So do you think that once the world can't run without them and their applications they'll suddenly go lax on usability and dramatically increase prices? Hey wait, that sounds familiar... Gates anyone?

Just kidding, I understand what you mean, I just couldn't resist the comparison.

Newuser1111
December 5th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Currently, I use GMX.

WaeV
December 5th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Huh, never heard of GMX before. What do you like about it?

Newuser1111
December 5th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Huh, never heard of GMX before. What do you like about it?Nothing, I just don't get as much spam as I did in Gmail.
So far I've had no spam in it. While my Gmail account has over 500 spam messages a day.

And, I know how to use Mozilla Thunderbird with it if I want to.

mfarquhar
December 5th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Gmail and Yahoo

doorknob60
December 5th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Gmail. Ditched my MSN after realizing the spam filter simply doesn't work. I'm special though because I had a premium @msn.com address :-P Got it from my old old ISP. Only use it for messenger now, haven't checked inbox in months.

jomiolto
December 5th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I have a Gmail account (or three actually), but I almost never use the webmail interface, since I prefer to use Thunderbird or Opera Mail. The university I study in also has their own webmail which I pretty much have to use, since they don't do POP/IMAP :(

jespdj
December 5th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I love Gmail - it's the best online e-mail program I've ever seen.

Hotmail is stupid, it does not work properly on non-Windows systems anymore since Microsoft made some changes a few weeks ago. When I go to Hotmail, it complains that I have to upgrade my browser, but even more stupid is that it is now impossible to write mail with Hotmail if you're not on Windows! The text editor just doesn't work on non-Windows systems.

Giant Speck
December 5th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I love Gmail - it's the best online e-mail program I've ever seen.

Hotmail is stupid, it does not work properly on non-Windows systems anymore since Microsoft made some changes a few weeks ago. When I go to Hotmail, it complains that I have to upgrade my browser, but even more stupid is that it is now impossible to write mail with Hotmail if you're not on Windows! The text editor just doesn't work on non-Windows systems.

Actually, it does. When they first updated it, I wasn't able to enter text in the text field. I'm able to do it now. I don't remember what I did, but it works now.

ZuLuuuuuu
December 5th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Used GMX before Gmail. Used Gmail when it first came. And then switched to Ymail when the new Ymail introduced. Although Gmail was more stable and problemless I prefer "folders" over tags and the look&feel of Ymail attracts me. (Although I change my web mail, my email address does not change because I own my custom one and configure the web mail to use it while sending and receiving messages.).

notwen
December 5th, 2008, 11:38 AM
from Gmail Team <gmail-noreply@google.com>
to *snip* <snip@gmail.com>
date Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 1:50 PM
subject Gmail is different. Here's what you need to know.
mailed-by google.com

Gmail, have been using it since beta and have had no issues whatsoever. Performs just as they state and I'll be able to pass it on to my relatives after I die, in hopes of someday filling my inbox. =]

You are currently using 580 MB (7%) of your 7270 MB.

Sand & Mercury
December 5th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Actually, it does. When they first updated it, I wasn't able to enter text in the text field. I'm able to do it now. I don't remember what I did, but it works now.
Yes, it works now for me too. They've fixed it, but the damage has already been done. Switched to Gmail when it started happening, haven't looked back. :D Gmail is a million times better.

josephellengar
December 5th, 2008, 01:36 PM
i use hotmail and basically always have. i still don't get how gmail is so popular on this poll and many other online polls when statistics say hotmail is still more popular.

I think that it has something to do with the community. google came in late webmail-wise, so maybe people in this ocmmunity are more curious computerwise and decided to check it out. I heard that yahoo is still by far the most popular in other communities, and I know that I have 5 yahoo accounts but only 3 gmail accounts.

extruct
December 5th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I use gmail, pretty fast and configurable.

billgoldberg
December 5th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I'm using hotmail for msn messenger and personal emails.

I use gmail as my mail adress for my websites, forums, ...

I have a yahoo account to sign up for trivial things.

I would like to give up the hotmail account (not because it's from MS, but because the firefox issue where you can't type without changing the user agent string), I'm fading it out as much as possible, but it's still going to take a while.

Dr Small
December 5th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I used to have Squirrel back when I was hosting elsewhere, never really liked it much. RoundCube is a nice interface, though it breaks on older browsers and requires extensive Javascript - but its features also make it an excellent replacement for a typical mail application like Thunderbird.

I may give RoundCube a whirl one of these days, just because I like to try different things.

e: Just installed gnubiff, pretty nifty. Changed the icons to two mail icons from Tango.

I made my own (crude looking) mail icons :D

chucky chuckaluck
December 5th, 2008, 03:16 PM
A better question is why does he have over 120.

i belong to a forum that only allows one account per email address.

i don't.

bobbocanfly
December 5th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I host my own RoundCube webmail on top of my own Postfix/Courier mail server. Quite fun to setup and configure, but not for those scared of the command line (or people that need weekends to actually do things other than break postfix).

Dr Small
December 5th, 2008, 03:25 PM

Hahahaha!

Dr Small
December 5th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I host my own RoundCube webmail on top of my own Postfix/Courier mail server. Quite fun to setup and configure, but not for those scared of the command line (or people that need weekends to actually do things other than break postfix).
I agree. I found it fun to setup too ;)

notwen
December 5th, 2008, 03:44 PM

chuck you take the cake. always count on your for a laugh or three while at work. =]

blakjesus
December 5th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I have been using gmail since they first introduced it haha.

I remember when they first started out they only allowed 100 people (i was one of them) to register and then from there you had to get an invite.

Before then it was hotmail. :)

bobbocanfly
December 5th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I agree. I found it fun to setup too ;)

hehe. Fun in the "ah thank god, thats its finally working after 8 hours of hacking, time for a beer" way. My server fell over yeterday and I had to rebuild the whole thing from backup. Of course, Postfix didn't like it and I had to pretty much start from scratch. cue 2 hours of ******* around with postfix tutorials!

kelean
December 5th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Hotmail for personal, yahoo for other personal, and gmail for everything else.

mybunche
December 5th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I've been using gmail for a year, switching from yahoo and hotmail. I use gmail with prism and checkmail and with that combination it's perfect, don't even need to enter my login details when I click on the the checkgmail icon. I have the gmail notebook theme to match the default brown look of Ubuntu, and that theme is not bright and easy on the eye. Also I like that the ads are only static text based which don't annoy me, and if you want to look at them some are actually useful. Also, when sending with gmail, they don't stick an ad at the bottom of your message. And, also, if you are using firefox and you logout it doesn't go to a 'MSN' like home page which I don't need or want to see.

Hotmail as email is good but I will not use it because it is a Microsoft product. Too many ads: ads on page, ads embedded in message, ads on logout...no way.

So gmail for me.

eternalnewbee
December 5th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Gmail.

will1911a1
December 5th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I use my service provider's webmail interface.

Erunno
December 5th, 2008, 05:19 PM
My web mail provider of choice is GMail. GMail itself is quite nice and the Spam filter accuracy is second to none but what really draws me to GMail are the other Google services like Reader, Calendar and Picasa and it is simply convenient to get all these from the same source.

Yahoo mail, for instance, has in my opinion a far superior web interface featuring a 3 pane tabbed interface (where each tab can even be dragged), a far more detailed contacts organizer (Google's is awful), context menu support, resizable elements and probably tons of other features I've never discovered.

klange
December 5th, 2008, 05:41 PM
*highfive*
I never said what my server was running: Postfix and Dovecot, with SpamAssassin for junk detection (and a global procmail recipe for filtering spam to /Junk).

I just hacked my own mailto: handler into my RoundCube install last night. With all the features RoundCube does have, it's a bit odd that it doesn't have some of the simpler things like filters and mailto: support.

magnus0
December 5th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Gmail. It gets mail from my other accounts too

icarid_17
December 5th, 2008, 05:58 PM
gmail now (through evolution), used to use msn, but i'm going to transfer all my recieved emails and contacts to my computer and then delete my msn account in my quest to extricate myself from microsoft entirely. i also forward all my highschool account email (called secondary Imail), to gmail

hellion0
December 5th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Primarily Gmail, along with a Yahoo account for secondary usage.

meg23
December 5th, 2008, 08:15 PM
my parents still cling to AOL. I wonder if they voted on this poll?!?

For those people who do use AOL, why do you use it and how do you live with yourself?

gjoellee
December 5th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I use:
@gmail.com
@hotmail.com
@kshoster.net

Lightstar
December 5th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Gmail for my serious stuff (work and such)
hotmail for all normal things + subscription (which means also alot of spam)