PDA

View Full Version : Vista refund granted - Israel

mikewhatever
December 4th, 2008, 11:36 PM
AFAIK, it never happened here before, so it's a milestone.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/04/dell_windows_eula_israel/

And, yes, here is the check!

Paqman
December 5th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Is that 550 Shekels? That's something like US$140/GB£94/EU€108! Congrats, that's a really good refund!

MikeTheC
December 5th, 2008, 12:29 AM
It will be interesting to see how Dell ultimately responds to this*. I mean, if Dell is carrying an OS on their systems by a vendor which states in the EULA you can obtain a refund by essentially being a conscientious objector, then Dell has agreed to abide by that EULA.

If Dell doesn't want to abide by it, then Dell shouldn't source their OS product from Microsoft.

* That is, how they discuss this internally amongst their sales and support staff, and how they modify their policies to either not require being taken to court, or to try and shore themselves up against future legal action.

mikewhatever
December 5th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Is that 550 Shekels? That's something like US$140/GB£94/EU€108! Congrats, that's a really good refund!

Yes. It's not quite clear what other then Vista costs were included, could be court expenses or more software.

It will be interesting to see how Dell ultimately responds to this*. I mean, if Dell is carrying an OS on their systems by a vendor which states in the EULA you can obtain a refund by essentially being a conscientious objector, then Dell has agreed to abide by that EULA.

If Dell doesn't want to abide by it, then Dell shouldn't source their OS product from Microsoft.

* That is, how they discuss this internally amongst their sales and support staff, and how they modify their policies to either not require being taken to court, or to try and shore themselves up against future legal action.

Well, OEMs definitely don't like to refund, however, the good thing is, they have no case when taken to court. Hopefully, the following refunds will be granted more readily.

josephellengar
December 5th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I think that computer manufacturers should all offer to sell these computers without any operating system on them. Then it might be affordable to buy alienware- if you don't use all of their operating system customization stuff. Lol.

MikeTheC
December 5th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Well, Dell *does* sell systems with, ironically enough, Ubuntu on them. However, let's be fair, you don't see all the best configurations represented, and sometimes you have to pick another product which may include Windows.

I do agree, however, that it would be nice for Dell to sell OS-free computers which would then, of course, eliminate this kind of situation.

However, it was still bad behavior on Dell's part to force the guy to take it through the court system.

josephellengar
December 5th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Well, Dell *does* sell systems with, ironically enough, Ubuntu on them. However, let's be fair, you don't see all the best configurations represented, and sometimes you have to pick another product which may include Windows.

I do agree, however, that it would be nice for Dell to sell OS-free computers which would then, of course, eliminate this kind of situation.

However, it was still bad behavior on Dell's part to force the guy to take it through the court system.

I'll have to threaten HP with this when I buy my computer for college in June. Hopefully I won't go to a school that requires Windows ;)

mikewhatever
December 5th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I think that computer manufacturers should all offer to sell these computers without any operating system on them. Then it might be affordable to buy alienware- if you don't use all of their operating system customization stuff. Lol.

That probably not gonna happen any time soon, because most of the local customers want Windows on their notebooks, and are completely oblivious of alternatives. Dell re-sellers here don't offer notebooks with Ubuntu, but it is possible to find one with free dos. The problem is that it's almost always cheaper to buy one with Windows, and that many configurations aren't available. As of now, it appears the best deal is to buy one with Windows and then ask for the refund.;)

MikeTheC
December 5th, 2008, 07:55 PM
That probably not gonna happen any time soon, because most of the local customers want Windows on their notebooks, and are completely oblivious of alternative. Dell re-sellers here don't offer notebooks with Ubuntu, but it is possible to find one with free dos. The problems are that it's almost always cheaper to buy one with Windows, and that many configurations aren't available. As of now, it appears the best deal is to buy one with Windows and then ask for the refund.;)

You have my shared sympathies, since even though Dell does offer Ubuntu-bundled systems here in the States, that doesn't mean (as said above) that they have a configuration that a person may want within that subset (and it is a subset) of their range.

This is really where I feel computer manufacturers and component vendors really miss the boat. So much of the hardware used is already very well supported. Releasing the relevant specs and APIs (plus perhaps a reference driver) would enable the F/OSS community to take software support off their hands entirely. This would save *them* time and money, and help enable all of their customers and potential customers to be perfectly well satisfied.

All that making everything proprietary and restricted (either completely or via NDAs) does is allow them to generate a false sense of being shielded from competition, competition which, I might point out, doesn't just benefit the customers but also benefits them, since invariably they come up with better and more efficient products and work-flows which then make themselves even more profitable than they were before.

meg23
December 5th, 2008, 08:14 PM
baruch hashem, thats all i got to say

2hot6ft2
December 5th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I'll have to threaten HP with this when I buy my computer for college in June. Hopefully I won't go to a school that requires Windows ;)

Good luck with that since HP put their own user agreement right there with the MS one that clearly states that "IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THE TERMS YOUR ONE AND ONLY RECOURSE IS TO RETURN THE PRODUCT BOTH HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE TO THE PLACE OF PURCHASE IN AN UNUSED CONDITION" or something to that effect and it's all in caps like that and right at the beginning.

Found that out when I got my new laptop a couple weeks ago. Must say that HP isn't looking like they want my business next time I shop for a pc.

From what I've read Dell seems to be more user friendly in letting us choose our OS.