PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into it

~LoKe
December 4th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Things have seemed to slow down for me for the time being, so I decided to give Ubuntu another shot (was stuck with Vista on the laptop since I didn't have any Ubuntu CD's).

Coming from Hardy, what are some big changes in Ibex?

Damn it, I hate the part where I have to customize and install everything all over again.

billgoldberg
December 4th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Things have seemed to slow down for me for the time being, so I decided to give Ubuntu another shot (was stuck with Vista on the laptop since I didn't have any Ubuntu CD's).

Coming from Hardy, what are some big changes in Ibex?

Damn it, I hate the part where I have to customize and install everything all over again.

Besides the new gnome version (tabbed nautilus) not that much.

Pulse Audio is way better than in Hardy.

tsbaker
December 5th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Better support for Wireless support. I spent a lot of time getting my wireless card to work, and it worked sub par at best, and everytime I updated the kernel, it usually stopped working.

With Ibex, everything worked with a clean install, I don't recall having to do any extra tweaking.

I love it!!!

RedPandaFox
December 5th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Better support for Wireless support. I spent a lot of time getting my wireless card to work, and it worked sub par at best, and everytime I updated the kernel, it usually stopped working.

With Ibex, everything worked with a clean install, I don't recall having to do any extra tweaking.

I love it!!!

Yeah wireless is so much easier now, my new laptop finally has out of the box support on something besides vista!

Edit: And welcome back!

aaaantoine
December 5th, 2008, 03:42 AM
As usual, two steps forward, one step back.

My experience?
+ I no longer depend on fglrx for my pretty Compiz effects with the Radeon Xpress 1100.
+ Tabbed Nautilus
+ New version of Compiz comes with the wallpaper plugin.
+ New version of Pidgin with better support for MSN.

- For me, the desktop occasionally hangs for periods ranging from 2 seconds to 10 minutes when the CPU is in use.
- VirtualBox uses more CPU than it used to.

magmon
December 5th, 2008, 03:44 AM
I never used 8.04, but what I can tell the color scheme of the menus is different.

chucky chuckaluck
December 5th, 2008, 03:57 AM

[ah]arch[/choo!]

Polygon
December 5th, 2008, 06:26 AM

i have to dissagree, for the first time, i can actually use my microphone, and once some initial configuring is done, i get sounds in all applications automatically. I remember having some problems in hardy

WaeV
December 5th, 2008, 06:29 AM
[ah]arch[/choo!]

So you recommend more customization? ohhhhh... rolling release, gotcha.

RiceMonster
December 5th, 2008, 07:05 AM

Man, I get bored when I have nothing to customize :p.

Lostincyberspace
December 5th, 2008, 07:14 AM
The part he hates is being "forced" to do it.

~LoKe
December 6th, 2008, 02:46 AM

I love customizing too, the issue is that it'll be difficult to get everything back to the way I have it at home (http://icedloki.deviantart.com/gallery/).

Joeb454
December 6th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Welcome back ~LoKe :)

I think a lot of people are grateful for the new network manager in Ibex ;)

The main thing for me is the wifi light on my laptop works now! :lol:

MasterNetra
December 6th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Yeah wireless is so much easier now, my new laptop finally has out of the box support on something besides vista!

Edit: And welcome back!

Kinda easier, I'm still disappointed that the drivers for my broadcom wireless STILL don't come by default..Hardy was understandable sense the drivers didn't come until after Hardy's release..but with 8.10? You would think all wireless drivers would take precedence over extras but meh.

Anywho welcome back!

unknown03
December 6th, 2008, 03:30 AM

I've never been able to get pulse audio to work.. Every time I upgrade I have to purge it

kevdog
December 6th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Great ready for a really slow boot time -- thats about all I see.

igknighted
December 6th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Kinda easier, I'm still disappointed that the drivers for my broadcom wireless STILL don't come by default..Hardy was understandable sense the drivers didn't come until after Hardy's release..but with 8.10? You would think all wireless drivers would take precedence over extras but meh.

Anywho welcome back!

The drivers use non-open source software and cannot be included for legal/philosophical reasons. The devs don't just hate broadcom users :P