PDA

View Full Version : How to open the default web browser from within a C program

tananaBrian
December 4th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Hi,

We're writing cross-platform applications in C, via GTK+, that have help systems associated with them. Currently, the Linux side of the fence opens a GTK+ window and populates it with help text (no links!) while the Windoze side uses Microshaft's compiled help system. What we'd like to do is to switch to HTML help across the board, display the help by programmatically opening a web browser, and use the HTML editor of our choice on either platform. I know how to open the default web browser under Windoze, but ...in Linux? Help! On this one I'm clueless and not having a lot of luck in web searches on the topic. Again, here are the goals:

=> Know how to determine the 'default' (if such a concept exists) browser and path on a Linux box ...from within a running C program, and then to run it with to open an HTML file (our help system.)

Thanks,
Brian

mssever
December 5th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Hi,

We're writing cross-platform applications in C, via GTK+, that have help systems associated with them. Currently, the Linux side of the fence opens a GTK+ window and populates it with help text (no links!) while the Windoze side uses Microshaft's compiled help system. What we'd like to do is to switch to HTML help across the board, display the help by programmatically opening a web browser, and use the HTML editor of our choice on either platform. I know how to open the default web browser under Windoze, but ...in Linux? Help! On this one I'm clueless and not having a lot of luck in web searches on the topic. Again, here are the goals:

=> Know how to determine the 'default' (if such a concept exists) browser and path on a Linux box ...from within a running C program, and then to run it with to open an HTML file (our help system.)

Thanks,
Brian
For Gnome, you can read the gconf key /desktop/gnome/applications/browser/exec. I don't know about KDE.

Oh, also, check out xdg-open. It's probably better than messing with gconf, but I have no direct experience with it.

kknd
December 5th, 2008, 12:48 AM
gtk_show_uri (), in gtk >= 2.14

cszikszoy
December 5th, 2008, 04:08 AM
What you want is xdg-open. Open up a terminal and try it for yourself

xdg-open http://www.google.com
Check out more info on xdg-utils here: http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/

Vadi
December 5th, 2008, 04:56 AM
I second xdg-open. It's a desktop-neutral way to opening things, installed in Ubuntu by default.

SimonJohnes
December 5th, 2008, 09:16 AM
The information you have given kknd, is it be useful because i couldn't find any solution through out the search except on ubuntu forum.