PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Move of big file always stops at 4 GB

eber69
December 4th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I have an mpeg file of the size of 4.4 GB. I want to move it to an external disk but can't get it to load completely to that other disk. I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 and there seem to be a limit of some kind present. Any ideas what to do?
Cheers,
Martin

taurus
December 4th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Bet your external harddrive is fat32/vfat filesystem! It won't take filse bigger than 4GB so you need to reformat the harddrive to either ntfs or ext3.

sudo fdisk -l

blackened
December 4th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Sounds like the drive is formatted as fat32 which has a maximum file size limit of 4GB. The only way to overcome this is to change the filesystem type of the external drive.

eber69
December 4th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Thanks, that's probably it. I have a lot of things on that disk and want to avoid reformating it. Could I split the file? I tried zipsplit commands but it seems, there's a limit of 2 GB to make a zip-file and zipsplit only takes zip files so it seemed a dead end.

Vantrax
December 4th, 2008, 11:40 PM
use winRAR/tar to split the file into any size chunks you like.

eber69
December 5th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Ok, what would that command look like? I tried to check rar -help but nothing really sounds like split a file up.

eber69
December 7th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Ok, what would that command look like? I tried to check rar -help but nothing really sounds like split a file up.

I found a geat guide for this:

http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008/05/howto-create-split-rar-files-in-ubuntu.html

stinger30au
December 7th, 2008, 01:26 PM
you can install wine and izarc, it runs just fine

www.izarc.org