PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Something A Little Different

RikedyP
December 4th, 2008, 08:02 PM
:| This is a little weird, but... :|

I used pendrivelinux's guide to installing ubuntu on a 1gb or more USB dongle, but i dont have a USB dongle/mp3 player (whatever really) that's 1gb or over,
so...
(EDIT: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/10/06/usb-ubuntu-810-install-from-windows-non-persistent/ )
my printer has a USB cable (obviously) and an SD slot on the printer itself (so i could connect my SD card to my PC, and transfer files, that all worked)
[If you're wondering, i originally got the SD for an mp3 player which read them but that broke so...

i transferred the files as it said, and ran the BATCH file and it all (seems to have) worked properly

i suspect the problem is the BIOS, but if you think you know that's why i made this post.

i set the BIOS to run from USB/HDD and i boot it and then it takes about 10-15 seconds of blank screen before deciding to boot from Hard Disk :S

then i set it to boot from something else, id remember if someone said what it was called but i cant bring it to mind myself, and it came up with a command line, said a bunch of commands, then said "unknown Flash Type" and then said
"Boot: cannot find linux kernel
Boot:"

so can you either:
!) recommend a better way of installing Ubuntu on an SD card (so it will boot :S)
OR
!) give me a link to something which will set it to boot from the SD Card VIA the printer USB.

Thanks in advance

~RikedyP

p.s. any extra info i'd be more than happy to give, :D

EDIT!!!! I may have found a way to do it for anyone with the same problem, untested as of yet LOL!
once you've followed the pendrive installation, don't reboot, go to your SD(G:\) Drive and click Umenu, then click on the bit about trying without installing, and reboot, im going to manually reboot soooon!

HELL YEAH! SD LINUX!!!

RikedyP
December 5th, 2008, 06:01 PM
NEW UPDATE!!!
I DIDN'T PLACE THIS IN THE EDIT BECAUSE THIS IS SEPERATE!!!

It's not Ubuntu, but...
the problem literally was that the kernel wasn't there :S soo...

i did the same thing but with Pendrivelinux's own adaptation of Linux, and it worked! It's freakin awesome with a hard drive
1in x 1/2in big lol!