January 4th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Start Evolution
Tools -> Settings -> Add
Name: username@localhost
Fullname: username
Server type: Local Delivery
Path: /var/mail/username
Sending Mail: sendmail

Replace your login user name in the fields above where it says "username".

Now you'll be able to get System Messages which could notify you of system problems.

HungSquirrel
January 5th, 2005, 11:10 AM
It is also useful to forward root mail to your local mail (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=7321). :)

wallijonn
January 5th, 2005, 08:28 PM
HS,

Your thread gave me the idea (that and I was having Evolution SMTP send mail errors, along with Postfix errors). My problem was where you said, "First, you need a mailbox, preferably with all of root's old mail already in it." Unfortunately root didn't have any mail nor a mailbox that I could work with.

If I try to send a mail to root@localhost, Postfix will send me a MAIL-DAEMON "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender" to my real email account. If I send an email to root@localhost.localdomain it goes into the ether, lost forever (because I am not running Postfix).

I guess if I enabled the root account (gave it its own password, etc.) it may create a root email postoffice box, but it's nothing I wish to try at the moment as I am already used to suid.

Yukonjack
January 19th, 2005, 10:33 AM
You can also just open the terminal type mutt and bingo, follow the instructions, you can read the mail in /var/mail and also copy, delete, move it to you home folder ect.... Ubuntu installs a few mail transports and mail readers when you install Ubuntu.

barbarian
January 19th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Thanx, it works great!!!

Cuber
May 11th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Does this also works for Thunderbird?

wilhelm
May 11th, 2005, 09:29 AM
it should work for thunderbird if it works in evolution

cordoval
November 10th, 2010, 03:15 AM
I am using apache2 and suphp and have my local site in php
when sending the site is configured to send to my gmail email
can I just keep that and since the php sends to gmail email can I setup the mailer so that it sends mail to my gmail?

how do I set that up?