PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Web Development

mobby1982
December 4th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Hi Guys I have just installed Ubuntu 8.10 and its awesome..... Alright I have been looking around in the forums and was really impressed by the amount of help newbies can get !!!! ttly rocks

I am working for a start-up and just had few questions :

Can i use Ubuntu for development purposes? I know development is a very generic term and i dont want to use it loosely . I will list all the technologies/frameworks I m using for development

Appfuse , Velocity, mysql Server ( DBMS ) , Apache Tomcat 5.x , Struts 2, Hibernate 3.x , Spring and ofcourse Eclipse ( ganymede ) just as Java Editor.
Since its a startup so we are planning to use Linux for development purposes.
I just wanted to know the ease with which i can install and setup the desktop for development with Ubuntu 8.10 and is it stable for development puproses . I am open to all kinds or responses/help ( links, docmentation etc.) THANK YOU users.

ibutho
December 4th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Its certainly possible. A lot of the apps/servers you mentioned are available for Linux and are available in the Ubuntu software repositories.

jamesstansell
December 5th, 2008, 03:25 AM
A lot of what you mentioned can be installed from the ubuntu repositories. For example, you didn't mention the glassfish server, but it's even in there.

However, most of the java stuff can also be installed just as easily without using the ubuntu packages, especially if you set up a maven proxy server for jars reachable by maven. Other things, like eclipse, seem to work better if downloaded directly, and the ubuntu package doesn't seem to give you much benefit anyway.