PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Back to 8.04.1 Hardy folks

timyoungblood
December 4th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I have given up on the issues around 8.10 I've experienced and settled on the fact that getting work done is more important that chasing down things that don't work.

I jumped to Ubuntu from Fedora as it was such a bleeding edge war zone a couple of years ago that I could not longer justify. I've had some deja vu as of late!

So at 3am this morning I grabbed the 8.04.1 LTS release and installed it. I hate going backwards but I am so glad I did even after dealing with the Nvidia/Dell 3007 issues early this morning to get full resolution. It is appreciably more responsive and I am now back to billing my customers.

Looking forward to the next LTS (Long Term Support) release!

meg23
December 4th, 2008, 05:54 PM
i did the same thing. intrepid had too many unconfigurable updates for me. for instance, i hate the nm-applet pop ups. it reminded me of windows too much.secondly, i dont know what the folks at vmware were doing but who in the hell wants to run a virtual machine from a webbrowser

icanfly0307
December 4th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Same here. Intrepid couldn't detect my video card, wireless adapter, and it wouldn't shut down completely (ie power off). I've switched back to 8.04.1 and everything's back to normal.

razy60
December 4th, 2008, 06:12 PM
running both at the moment, not had too many probs with 8.10 apart from flash in Firefox was a bit of a pain until it decide to install ok.
I think the brown is a better brown in 8.10, a much deeper muddy sort of brown compared to the light tea flavored brown of 8.04.;)

Raz

mikewhatever
December 4th, 2008, 08:38 PM
It's funny, long after 8.04 release it was cursed and slammed as the worst in history, and now you to go back to it.;)
Be as it may, I think one should always use what works best.
Update: Finally found the Hardy Sucks megathread.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=768200

jenkinbr
December 4th, 2008, 08:43 PM
It's funny, long after 8.04 release it was cursed and slammed as the worst in history, and now you to go back to it.;)
My thoughts exactly.

I have gotten 8.10 to work with me on some things, but I'm not switching back - too much work for an offline computer to figure out what I have installed and such.

Snappo
December 4th, 2008, 08:45 PM

I was talking to someone about this as well. :popcorn:

timyoungblood
December 9th, 2008, 12:42 AM
I completely understand the way operating systems and other software are released into the wild. I do expect issues.

It gets worse as I'm looking for a system that will do much better performance wise than what I have currently. Ubuntu is not cutting it!!!

Maybe you can help me. Answer me why do I have such poor desktop performance? (3.0ghz quad core on Asus P5E64 Evolution, 8gig of ddr3 ram, Nvidia 9800gtx, all sata 3g/s)

The cpus never seem to get above 10% even when doing things you would think would take a bit of horsepower (large recalcs in Openoffice calc). Still my system feels well...less than.

Any advice gents? MacPro dual quad Xeon in January???

Thanks,
Tim

maybeway36
December 9th, 2008, 02:28 AM
I'm sticking with Kubuntu 8.04 for now too. I've gotten very used to my KDE panel setup (which I have not been able to duplicate in GNOME, Xfce or KDE4) and my dual monitors, which haven't been working on Ubuntu 8.10.