PDA

View Full Version : ie4Linux - what website have you tricked today?

ColeJayStooks
December 4th, 2008, 04:35 PM
You know the few websites out there; they do checks on operating systems and say that you need to be running a version of Windows to comply with the website. While that number doesn't seem so high today, there are still a few that do.

Take the Staples store website for example; I tried to fill out their job application through Firefox on Ubuntu, turns out they check out for anything not Windows. I tried a Firefox application that tried to "trick" the website into thinking it was a Windows browser; that didn't work out either.

So I installed ie4Linux. It's flash content didn't hold up so well for me, so I went to the Staples website until I got to the point of it saying my OS wasn't compatible, copy and pasted the URL into ie4Linux, and suddenly I was running compatible software! Who knew, right?

So how many times has ie4Linux gotten YOU out of a jam?

Yownanymous
December 4th, 2008, 04:42 PM
WTF? I'll never shop at Staples again...

ade234uk
December 4th, 2008, 06:28 PM
It really is starting to annoy me that websites are starting to do this. How the hell is this good for customers. For example I have been to a couple of websites and now I see that I am required to download Silverlight.

semitone36
December 4th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Ah god... just when I thought we were starting to make some real change happen.

poisonkiller
December 4th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Well... I use Firefox's User Agent Switcher add-on and it has worked for all webpages requiring IE, so I have no use for IE4Linux.

insane_alien
December 4th, 2008, 07:52 PM
why should OS matter for any website? php, html, etc. etc(thats actually my limit of leet web kn0wledge) only depend on if your browser if anything(and if they complied with standards then they wouldn't.

Gorgoth
December 4th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Funny thing... I dont try to trick sites into thinking Im using IE or Windows. If I come across a site with such requirements, I just never visit that site again.

If a site can't be open to everyone (as far as choice of OS/Browser goes) then really, they probably don't have any content of interest to me.

Twitch6000
December 4th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Funny thing... I dont try to trick sites into thinking Im using IE or Windows. If I come across a site with such requirements, I just never visit that site again.

If a site can't be open to everyone (as far as choice of OS/Browser goes) then really, they probably don't have any content of interest to me.

Same here... except a few video sites where I have a plugin for firefox that mimics IE.It hasn't let me down yet :).

Either way though I see no reason for companies such as staples to not allow you to apply for a job using an OS such as Linux.

I really think this is Microsoft fighting us...

Like that old Linux commercial says -

First they laugh at you
Then they hate you(I think...)
Then they fight you

eragon100
December 4th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Same here... except a few video sites where I have a plugin for firefox that mimics IE.It hasn't let me down yet :).

Either way though I see no reason for companies such as staples to not allow you to apply for a job using an OS such as Linux.

I really think this is Microsoft fighting us...

Like that old Linux commercial says -

First they laugh at you
Then they hate you(I think...)
Then they fight you

1. It's from Gandhi!

2. It't like this:

First they ignore you
Then thay laugh at you
Then they fight you
Then you win

ColeJayStooks
December 5th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Wow, these are some weird responses, guys. I'm not trying to start a boycott here, sheesh. Fancy high horses you're all on.

Way to derail my thread.

Twitch6000
December 5th, 2008, 04:52 AM
1. It's from Gandhi!

2. It't like this:

First they ignore you
Then thay laugh at you
Then they fight you
Then you win

Ohhhhh thank you for the correction.

Giant Speck
December 5th, 2008, 05:04 AM
I don't use ie4Linux. If there's a website that I need to use on Internet Explorer, I just log out and then log into my Windows partition.