PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Googleearth problems in an Eee Pc 1000h with 8.10

macozz
December 4th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Hi,
I am not sure if thie is an Eee PC or 8.10 issue, or a combination of both.
I got an Eee PC 1000h and installed Ibex in it, adding the customized kernel and nothing else. Compiz runs great, without any lag or problem. Videos play great and videoconferencing with Skype and aMSN are fine. Then I tried to install GoogleEarth...
Aware of some problems with version 4.3 I get the 4.2, first the debs in Medibuntu repo and after the bin file from Google directly. In both cases I installed also the patch for speed fix and deactivate the atmosphere. In any case, I cannot get nothing usable, not just by the s lowliness, but mostly because the globe is not represented properly, with the map and terrain offset and terrain replaced by garbage in many places. No areas can be recognized.
I found in the net this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaRCmk-l1io), it is in Spanish, but it clearly show GoogleEarth running flawlessly in an Eee PC (I am not sure what model, but I gess that in a 900 or 901) and I am not sure what Ubuntu it was, but guess 8.04.
So, it is supposed that GE should run OK in my equipment.
Any one out there has any idea about this? Someone experienced something similar?

Thank you very much to all!

macozz
December 5th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Well, I get some reply in the Eee PC forum. They suggested that disable Compiz and trying that I get an usable but very slow GE. Also, some letters from the cities and regions/countries names are missing. Another reply tell me that in 8.04 GE runs fine without Compiz and even without the speedfix patch.
It seems that at least part of the problems are Intrepid related. Any suggestion for that? Is it possible to have both or should i choose?
Also, Any report of the Compiz/GE incompatibility in a different hardware or is just an Eee PC issue?
Cheers!