PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] 64-bit Ubuntu Server on HP DL380 G4

JAID
December 4th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Ubuntu 64-bit Server Edition has tested fine on the HP DL380 G5 server. I wonder if there are likely to be any issues with the G4 version of this server.

HP don't mention support for Ubuntu but do support Debian and Linux (RedHat and another.) HP's server tools similarly relate to operating systems other than Ubuntu. Does this mean that the HP server and setup tools can't be used in setting p for Ubuntu or would linux support somehow be generic?

Are these tools even worthwhile if the Ubuntu setup is used (that is if it can be used on the G4 version of the DL 380 ?)

Hope your can suggest there is no problm at all so that I can get on and use Ubantu. Even the opposite, however, when known, is a great advantage. Thanks.

JAID
December 16th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Hi all,

Disregard the last post please. I read everything I could get my hands on regarding this and did'nt see one indication that Ubuntu would likely run painlessly on my machine.

So...way against my whim, I have gone out and bought Win Server 2008.

An IT contact similarly to one respondent in another thread, said ..."you're running a business not a server installation, you have some legacy equipment, forget Ubuntu and forget 64-bit, if Windows runs a few percent slower, the time will be well made up by not having to fiddle." The local said my combination of use as storage server, server and ocasional processing of intensively rendered material will make the quality of the XP relationship vital.

It will remain to be seen whether I have to fiddle (I can't imagine a windows where you don't)but the rest sounds sensible enough(that will remain to be seen also.)

Anyway, I am not here but there.

Regards

Ian