PDA

View Full Version : IBM, Canonical release 'Microsoft-free' virtual Linux desktop bundle

I-75
December 4th, 2008, 02:01 PM
IBM, Canonical release 'Microsoft-free' virtual Linux desktop bundle

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=windows&articleId=9122378&taxonomyId=125&intsrc=kc_top

December 4, 2008 (Computerworld) IBM and Canonical Inc. today announced a virtualized software bundle combining Lotus desktop applications running on top of Ubuntu Linux that they say is far cheaper than running Microsoft Corp.'s Office suite on conventional Windows PCs.

It's the latest salvo in IBM's ongoing battle to break Microsoft's stranglehold on the desktop.

According to IBM, the virtual Linux desktop suite could cost, for large companies, as little as $59 per worker. That would include a minimal configuration of $49 for the VERDE desktop virtualization software from a third vendor, Virtual Bridges, $10 for Ubuntu Linux support, and no cost for the Lotus Symphony productivity software.

A full-fledged Linux desktop solution that includes Lotus Notes e-mail, Sametime instant messaging, and other collaboration tools would cost $258 per user, according to IBM.

Customers would also save on labor costs due to reduced maintenance from moving to a server-side solution, said Inna Kuznetsova, director of Linux strategy for IBM, as well as lower hardware costs by extending the lifespan of desktop PCs.

"This is hopefully the first step in multiple announcements to come from us," she said.

Sealbhach
December 4th, 2008, 03:14 PM
As far as I know, Lotus is not very well liked as an office suite. Still, it's very interesting. Canonical teaming up with Big Blue.

plb
December 4th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I know _some_ people still use Lotus but cmon. I guess it's a start though. Could be interesting.

Sealbhach
December 4th, 2008, 03:43 PM
it's a big endorsement for a desktop Linux distro, whatever about Lotus.

Swarms
December 4th, 2008, 03:46 PM
My father loves the Lotus office suite when he used it at his old employer a couple of years ago. Is it still a good suite?

KiwiNZ
December 4th, 2008, 06:55 PM
The new Lotus Symphony suite is actually good. It is based on Open Office. Give it a try.
I have in Windows , Linux amd Mac versions and all perform well

PhoenixMaster00
December 4th, 2008, 08:01 PM
No surprise IBM are doing this there famous for not liking someone dominate a market there involved in if they can help it, I look forward to seeing what other moves they make in the future

Browser_ice
December 8th, 2008, 12:51 AM
There was an announcement a few weeks ago that IBM is now using Open Client as the new standard document format to use.