PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu 8.10 on MSI WIND U100

manuleka
December 4th, 2008, 11:35 AM
i'm just bought a MSI WIND U100 laptop... i want to install Ubuntu 8.10 but just want to know if anyone can give me some advice on things to be aware of before i install the OS...

i'm going to wipe out Windows indefinitely... i do realise that 8.04 had some issues with the wireless functions

Kobalt
December 4th, 2008, 12:03 PM
This might help : http://wiki.msiwind.net/index.php/Ubuntu_8.04_Hardy_Heron

manuleka
December 4th, 2008, 12:05 PM
i think i'm more focussing on Ubuntu 8.10... thanks for the info tho

vgots
December 4th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Hi!

First you should decide why you need ubuntu, exact needs. If it is you first linux ever - the best choise, but be ready for problems, there are a lot of issues unsolved so many people become very confused by linux systems and install the windows back.
second - don't be lazy to backup all your priceless data, say, as for me it's my own habit NOT to do it, i'm just very lazy :) If your laptop supports the restore and backup functions from "zero" it's very good, but when you will install ubuntu try to resize your HDD very safely. Give a lot of attention to it. Good luck!

manuleka
December 4th, 2008, 12:32 PM
thanks for that vgots, i'm a newbie but i want to learn as i go... i hate having windows arround because i always end up running back to it - like running back to mama lol...

and what i use my computer for, mostly web programming which should be fine with Ubuntu... and i don't mind working with Inkscape and GIMP for graphics...

I have made a full backup of my WINDOWS XP to date with DriveImage XML :)
But i doubt i will be rolling back to it at all - well i hope

aggiemarine07
December 4th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Ubuntu 8.10 is pretty good about getting the right drivers for hardware and such and most laptops these days use broadcom wireless chipsets on the motherboards so I would think that you are good to go. You will be surprised how many things ubuntu can detect and install the drivers for. My dad install ubuntu on a 7 year old dell laptop and it detected everything and picked up its wireless-b pcmcia card that he put in it :)

so install install it and let us know if you have any issues, everyone here on the forums is here to help you. :)