PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Uninstall?

Godleflopest
December 4th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Sooo.
I'm brand new to Ubuntu and I got my free disc in the mail the other day. I installed it onto my hard drive and did the mandatory restart, but GRUB had error 21, and I now have no idea how to fix it. Anyone have this problem/know what to do?

inobe
December 4th, 2008, 10:04 AM
hi and welcome

we need some more information !

is this a dual boot setup, if so' is it xp or vista

as for grub 21, it is a hard disk error

Godleflopest
December 4th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Alright.
Uhm.
I have XP, and I installed it onto a portable hard drive that I never unplug because my built in hard drive was having errors partitioning.
So no, not dual booting.

caljohnsmith
December 4th, 2008, 05:31 PM
OK, how about booting your Live CD, open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and post the output of:

sudo fdisk -lu
Also, for each of the drives fdisk lists, like sda, sdb, etc, please post the output of:

sudo xxd -l 2 -p /dev/sda
So replace "sda" above with each of your drives. Note "-l" is a lowercase L, not a one. And finally, for each command above that returns "eb48", please post:

sudo xxd -s 1049 -l 2 -p /dev/sda
And replace sda with the drives that previously returned "eb48". That will greatly clarify what your setup is like.

Godleflopest
December 5th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Alright.
I got my XP disc and got it back, I'm going to try just a basic install now.
Thanks for the help though guys. :]

jmacx81
December 5th, 2008, 04:00 AM
OK, how about booting your Live CD, open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and post the output of:

sudo fdisk -lu
Also, for each of the drives fdisk lists, like sda, sdb, etc, please post the output of:

So replace "sda" above with each of your drives. Note "-l" is a lowercase L, not a one. And finally, for each command above that returns "eb48", please post:

And replace sda with the drives that previously returned "eb48". That will greatly clarify what your setup is like.

I think you scared him

Godleflopest
December 5th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Hahaha. Yeah. Pretty much.

Okay so.
I did the install again, and all went well, but then I got error 21 again. :/ When I partitioned my hard drive, I didn't divide it up, should I have? I just made one big 20gig partition then said use all available space.
What did I do wrong?
And remember, I'm brand new to this, so baby steps please. :P

Godleflopest
December 5th, 2008, 05:53 AM

sudo fdisk -lu

Alrighty. Here ya' go.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -lu

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders, total 156301488 sectors

Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Disk identifier: 0x353d353c

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/sda1 * 63 156280319 78140128+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo xxd -l 2 -p /dev/sda

eb48

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo xxd -s 1049 -l 2 -p /dev/sda

Godleflopest
December 5th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Okay.
I got it working and running.
Thanks guys soooooo much for trying to help.