PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everybody...

sharathpaps
December 4th, 2008, 08:53 AM
hey Guys,

):P I am so happy to be here. I've tried so many flavors of Linux before - Suse, Knoppix, Mandrake, Red Hat, Ubuntu are just a few. Eventually I ended returning to windows because 1. I didn't know the first thing about Linux & 2.One or the other pieces of my hardware wouldn't be supported. But now, I've finally downloaded & installed Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 & this time I am determined to learn it as well as I can. I've devoted an entire system for the purpose. The only problem is that I don't really have a lot of time on my hands to do that..But never mind.. "It is a rough road that leads to the stars"....

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you & to learn from you...

Thanx

CholericKoala
December 4th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Nice to meet you, hope you have a good experience with Ubuntu. It is a growing, maturing technology that is becoming more user friendly with every release, so hopefully it will suit your needs.

magmon
December 4th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Welcome to ubuntu! If you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask. Its good to see another person escaping the communist bonds of windows xD

eternalnewbee
December 4th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Smile Hello Everybody...
hey Guys,

I am so happy to be here. I've tried so many flavors of Linux before - Suse, Knoppix, Mandrake, Red Hat, Ubuntu are just a few. Eventually I ended returning to windows because 1. I didn't know the first thing about Linux & 2.One or the other pieces of my hardware wouldn't be supported. But now, I've finally downloaded & installed Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 & this time I am determined to learn it as well as I can. I've devoted an entire system for the purpose. The only problem is that I don't really have a lot of time on my hands to do that..But never mind.. "It is a rough road that leads to the stars"....

Hi, and welcome to the Ubuntu Community.

MikeTheC
December 4th, 2008, 09:23 AM
hey Guys,

):P I am so happy to be here. I've tried so many flavors of Linux before - Suse, Knoppix, Mandrake, Red Hat, Ubuntu are just a few. Eventually I ended returning to windows because 1. I didn't know the first thing about Linux & 2.One or the other pieces of my hardware wouldn't be supported. But now, I've finally downloaded & installed Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 & this time I am determined to learn it as well as I can. I've devoted an entire system for the purpose. The only problem is that I don't really have a lot of time on my hands to do that..But never mind.. "It is a rough road that leads to the stars"....

Thanx
Welcome aboard!

FWIW, I believe your personal saying is supposed to be based on the Latin "Per Ardua ad Astra", or something like that.

I understand completely your urge to learn the OS so you can become self-sufficient and proficient, and I can certainly relate to your need to kind of "optimize" your learning time as much as possible. So herewith I present some suggestions...

0. (Gee, isn't it cool to start out with "Suggestion Zero"...) I'm sure you know there's plenty of online retailers to buy stuff from, usually at better prices than a brick-and-mortar. That's all fine and well, but just like you wouldn't buy clothes without trying them first, the same goes for buying keyboards, mice and, well... self-help books, too.

1. Take a look at the following self-help books: Ubuntu For Non-Geeks by Rickford Grant (ISBN: 1593271808 ) , or Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux, 2nd Ed. by Mark G. Sobell (ISBM 0137003889). Even though a book becomes dated over time, it's still useful because it covers a lot of ground and often times answers questions you didn't know you had on subjects you didn't know to ask about. Besides, you can take a book with you!

2. Spend some time doing arbitrary searching and visual scanning of this message board. Naturally, a lot of it is going to be meaningless (at least, on the surface), but you will see people asking questions, and (generally) you'll see solutions. Invariably, you will stumble into areas which seem interesting, or those which might seem relevant to your own usage.

3. Hang out here in the community area. We'll grow on you... eventually. :)

4. Experiment, experiment, experiment!

5. Here's a useful shortcut to finding out how to do things: Go to Google and do a search, formatted something along the lines of: "ubuntu" + "how to ..." + "whatever". Like, for instance, "ubuntu" + "how to play" + "mp3s and DVDs". Typically, the first (or, at a minimum, somewhere in the top 5) search result will point you back here to the appropriate forum and thread where it's explained in quite good detail. Trust me, you'll simply be stunned at all the things you can find out that way.

Good luck!

dannytatom
December 4th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Hello & welcome! :)

5. Here's a useful shortcut to finding out how to do things: Go to Google and do a search, formatted something along the lines of: "ubuntu" + "how to ..." + "whatever". Like, for instance, "ubuntu" + "how to play" + "mp3s and DVDs". Typically, the first (or, at a minimum, somewhere in the top 5) search result will point you back here to the appropriate forum and thread where it's explained in quite good detail. Trust me, you'll simply be stunned at all the things you can find out that way.

+1 for this, and if it's not in the forums, there's a blog post about it somewhere. :P

medic2000
December 4th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Welcome and yes you have made the right choice. This place is the number one for learning Ubuntu and Linux!

Sealbhach
December 4th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Welcome! It's a happy place to be. Take time to enjoy your Ubuntu experience, the learning will come with time. Me, I know a bit more than I did when I started out, it helps to get a book... I got the Linux Bible but if you don't want a book you can find loads of information online.

This is a good site:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php

lyceum
December 4th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Welcome!

The only way to learn it is to keep using it. Use Ubuntu for everything, if you get stuck, try to work it out, if you can't go back to what to know, but keep trying! I would say it will take you 2-3 months to be ready to stop using Windows all together (if you chose to do so). I have been using Ubuntu full time since 6.06 and now it is Windows that I don't get, and I am not a computer geek, just a regular one :D

halovivek
December 4th, 2008, 01:05 PM
hey Guys,

Thanx

me too i am also doing the same thing but i am doing in dual boot. still some problems are there with the hardware. but i can do some quite ok with ubuntu. there are some sound driver problems for this one.):P