PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Returning linux user, what's new?

moijk
December 4th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I started with Freebsd when it was in 2.2.1 and used it on the desktop for years until I had to use Linux because of commercial software (Slickedit, before it came with a freebsd version). Now I finally bought a computer to take my work with me both around the house and on trips.

The computer is a Thinkpad x61s with L7500 1.6, 4gb ddr2 667mhz ram, 120gb 5400rpm disc (will be replaced with SSD in due time) and this tiny 12" 1024x768 screen.

Now I'm looking at what desktop enviroment / window manager and tools I can run to keep this little baby from feeding to bad from the battery while still keeping in touch with modern use. I need a good editor for php too. Last time I used linux on the desktop I ran kde2, but not sure if kde is the right now. both Gnome and xfce look promising. with the rise of netbooks far less powerful than this thinkpad it should be enough user experience with what hogs most resources of the desktop enviroments.

or I'll revert to what I ran on my first thinkpad.. amiWm ;)

rudihawk
December 4th, 2008, 09:43 AM
If you want speed, use fluxbox.

smirnoff76
December 4th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I'm personally a big fan of Gnome.
I am running a HP Pavillion AMD Turion 2.4 with 2gb of memory and twin 80gb Hard drives and have never had an issue with speed other than when I upgraded to version 8.10 but even then that was down to my Graphics Card which is complete;ly pants so I downgraded to 8.04

Have you though about OzOs which is an enlightement WM built on ubuntu? I had a play with it and thought it was very good but I'm a big fan of Ubuntu so it never made it past a VM image.

Zorael
December 4th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I'd stay away from KDE4 if I were you, even though it has a special place in my heart. It *is* ready for everyday desktop use, but if speed and battery power is high on your priority you'd be better off with a slimmer one. It still needs polish and performance tweaks.

GNOME is okay. The numbers I've seen in terms of memory footprint, the step down to Xfce is pretty big, though. In order words, GNOME and KDE being fairly equal, then a big drop down to Xfce, then the other ones like Fluxbox and E17 even further down. Again, you *will* find GNOME faster than KDE4. Polish, tweaking needed.

I'd go with Xfce.