PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] python 2.5 still valid code in python 3.0?

aszxcv
December 4th, 2008, 08:33 AM
is it worth learning 2.5 with 3.0 just release?

elbarto_87
December 4th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I am asking myself the same question. I am taking a python course in a few months, but I doubt that they will be running version 3.0 so I am not sure if I should keep learning with 2.5 or start trying python 3.0

samjh
December 4th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Most Linux distros won't adopt Python 3.0 until later in 2009.

Is it worth learning 2.5? Well, the changelog doesn't look too extensive. Most of the changes appear to be syntactic, along with some library changes.

I'd estimate only one or two weeks worth of adjustment for someone already familiar with Python to switch from 2.5 to 3.0. Given the amount of learning material available for 2.5 (or any 2.x version), I think it's OK to learn 2.5 now and just make adjustments for 3.0 once it becomes more widespread.

Have a look at the differences between 2.5 and 3.0 here:
http://docs.python.org/dev/3.0/whatsnew/3.0.html

Quikee
December 4th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Python 3.0 is still not that much different from Python 2.x. There are some syntax changes, some new stuff and some obsolete or ambiguous stuff removed. However Python 3.0 is still Python - not like a completely new or different language.

gabril
December 4th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Royal institute of Thechnology in Stockholm sweden still teaches python 2.5... (KTH Kungliga Tekniska Högskolan)

Stick to it...

wmcbrine
December 4th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Most Linux distros won't adopt Python 3.0 until later in 2009.Later than 2009, more likely. (If by "adopt", you mean "make their default version of Python".)

The differences aren't huge in terms of learning, but they're enough to break almost every existing Python 2.x program.

pmasiar
December 4th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Learn 2.5 and don't worry.

Even if 3.0 would be available, most applications will not be switched to 3.0 anytime soon (next 3 years). 2.x Python will be around for quite a while: 2.6 is already out, 2.7 is planned, and possibly more (but there will not be versions beyond 2.9).

Most distros will have 2.6 (for existing apps) and 3.0 (for new) installed in parallel, so there is no reason to worry.

Also, 2.6 allows you to "from __future__ import ..." many features from 3.0, and convert 2.6 code into 3.0 (and warn about tricky areas).

BTW this question is FAQ every other week, now when LaRoza is not around anymore, can please some mod edit sticky and add link to this discussion?

Qtips
December 4th, 2008, 02:34 PM
BTW this question is FAQ every other week, [/QUOTE] now when LaRoza is not around anymore, can please some mod edit sticky and add link to this discussion?[/QUOTE]

Where is he? It was a great adviser for me !

Thanks

samjh
December 5th, 2008, 12:33 AM
He's still around, but no longer a moderator.

I think Slavik is the moderator who visits here most often now.