PDA

View Full Version : Toxic-free Environmental PCs... Who's Doing What?

MikeTheC
December 4th, 2008, 06:31 AM
I'm starting this thread as an outgrowth of discussion from this one (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6303286).

It's all over the 'net, of course, that Apple is trying to make their stuff "environmentally friendly", and that's fine and well. However, I think it's appropriate that we discuss this in a more expansive and inclusive way. By that, I am interested in seeing you folks contribute the following in this thread, if you know it to be factual and correct:

Which computer companies are producing systems which are fully "environmentally friendly";
Which computer companies are not* producing environmentally friendly equipment;
What is known about so-called "innocent" components in otherwise "friendly" systems which are known to be, or known to have the potential to be toxic;
What advances and improvements are on the horizon which will either eliminate or at least greatly reduce toxicity;
What people can do to inform themselves;
What people can do to protect themselves.

* Known chronic offenders, suppliers or our sources, and not companies heading for compliance who just haven't gotten to 100% yet.

Obviously, even in asking for an informal sort of clearinghouse for this kind of information, it goes without saying that house rules for UbuntuForums must be strictly adhered to. Representing something as a fact when it is not can not only harm this message board, but will not help those of us who are interested in keeping ourselves healthy. Where common sense would dictate, please include an accredited or authoritative source.

And remember, per UbuntuForums policy, no legal advice whatsoever shall be sought here, nor given. When in doubt, consult your own local legal and/or medical professional. Thank you.