PDA

View Full Version : CD-Rs

gletob
December 4th, 2008, 05:25 AM
I just got a pack of 50 Nextech CD-Rs for 1.50 and I must say what a waste of a dollar and two quarters. I will never buy anything but sony or verbatim media ever again. The nextech are flimsy and they smudge horribly. I've tried memorex and I lost my pictures because of the disk becoming unreadable. So what type of CD-Rs do you use?

magmon
December 4th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I use memorex, works for me. I have my ubuntu live iso burned to a memorex disk, as a matter of fact. Without that disk I would have been skrewed over multiple times lol.

bufsabre666
December 4th, 2008, 06:39 AM
ive never had a problem with nexxtech cd's or dvd's, theyre not the best but they regularly go on sale for 100 for under 10$

zmjjmz
December 4th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I use Memorex CD+RWs, and they work fine.

sstusick
December 4th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I use Memorex CD-R's...they do what they're supposed to.

zachtib
December 4th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I use memorex as well... way back in the day, however, I bought a 100 pack of CompUSA brand CD-R's for $10 (this was when $0.50 - $1.00 was a standard price per disc) So, they seemed like a steal until ~9/10 discs failed while burning... I'm not sure if there were a dozen good discs in the batch.

sstusick
December 4th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I've used CompUSA discs in the past and they worked fine for me. I have some that are 3-4 years old and still hold data.

steeleyuk
December 4th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Ritek do some of the best CD-Rs but they can be slightly more expensive.

I generally use Memorex.

tom66
December 4th, 2008, 08:29 AM
I use(d) a pack of DVD-RW 7 discs for 1, they stayed readable. However I now use an external HDD.

MikeTheC
December 4th, 2008, 08:46 AM
All brands of recordable media have good and bad batches of discs. Generally, studies conducted by various research and journalistic organizations tend to suggest it's a 50-50 shot getting better or worse media by going with a name brand vs. a store brand.

Now, that being said, one significant factor in data integrity and durability is write speed. I know it's all cool and exciting to write at, say, 52x, but the reality is that data written at such high speeds tends not to have the longevity of data written at slower speeds. For my part, I generally write CDs at 4x (go ahead and laugh if you must) and it's exceedingly rare in the extreme that I have compatibility problems with any drive I come across, anything from newer and older 1x Audio CD players to older PC and Mac laptops, so on and so forth.

I'm not saying you have to do exactly as I do, but I would suggest writing at successively slower and slower speeds until you find a speed that works best for you. I simply pick the (typically) slowest speed I can because, ordinarily, anything I put onto CD (more typically DVD, of course) has some degree of "archival" importance to me.

sstusick
December 4th, 2008, 08:51 AM
All brands of recordable media have good and bad batches of discs. Generally, studies conducted by various research and journalistic organizations tend to suggest it's a 50-50 shot getting better or worse media by going with a name brand vs. a store brand.

Now, that being said, one significant factor in data integrity and durability is write speed. I know it's all cool and exciting to write at, say, 52x, but the reality is that data written at such high speeds tends not to have the longevity of data written at slower speeds. For my part, I generally write CDs at 4x (go ahead and laugh if you must) and it's exceedingly rare in the extreme that I have compatibility problems with any drive I come across, anything from newer and older 1x Audio CD players to older PC and Mac laptops, so on and so forth.

I'm not saying you have to do exactly as I do, but I would suggest writing at successively slower and slower speeds until you find a speed that works best for you. I simply pick the (typically) slowest speed I can because, ordinarily, anything I put onto CD (more typically DVD, of course) has some degree of "archival" importance to me.Great post.

I agree. I always cringe when I see a friend, or hear about a friend burning his/her CD at maximum speeds. I always tell them lower speeds are better but they don't listen. I guess I can laugh at them when they get errors and don't have a clue as to why.

The most I burn a CD at is 12x and for ISOs and important data 4x.

magmon
December 4th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Oooh.. Glad you posted that. My ubuntu live CD was burned at max speed, and I use that thing to clean up my messes all the time... {Begins to burn new disk}

rajeev1204
December 4th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Well, i burn ubuntu iso's at max speed mostly and never had a problem.But i generally stick to 16x speeds.I use Moser baer brand of cd -R ,they are the world's largest makers of optical media and they are made in india in a pretty high tech unit.

Its a german company i think going by its name.

raj.

notwen
December 4th, 2008, 06:59 PM
+1 Memorex brands. For some reason regardless of where/what these CDRs/DVDRs always seem to work everywhere for me. After 2-3 years of buying random cheapest I just resorted to buying what has always worked and that turned out to be Memorex. =]

insane_alien
December 4th, 2008, 07:49 PM
i have no idea, i get them from the local computer shop and they com as a shrink wrapped stack of 50 with a clear plastic disc at the top and bottom. they are generic white and have no markings.

but they have never let me down(except when i was using some duffed burns(my fault not the discs) as frisbees, they seem to be shatter resistant which makes for a poor spectacle on impact.)

smartboyathome
December 4th, 2008, 08:01 PM
+1 Memorex brands. For some reason regardless of where/what these CDRs/DVDRs always seem to work everywhere for me. After 2-3 years of buying random cheapest I just resorted to buying what has always worked and that turned out to be Memorex. =]

+1 for Memorex from me, too! I've had my CD-RWs from them for a year (perhaps more?), and they haven't failed me yet considering how many writes and erases I have done. I will probably go with Memorex again when I get a laptop that can burn DVDs. :)

spoons
December 4th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I use Datasafe/Datawrite media. It's always been reliable for me, I haven't had a disc go bad yet. I burn only at 4x, though, so that might make a difference.