PDA

View Full Version : [other] Migrating from Another Distro

imag1narynumber
December 4th, 2008, 03:06 AM
I'm considering migrating to Ubuntu Studio. My concern is I need to be able to carry over the configurations from e17-svn and firefox (including addons and bookmarks). Is there any reasonable way of doing this? Thanks in advance!

stinger30au
December 4th, 2008, 03:26 AM
install it from command line if you already have ubuntu installed and keep everything intact so long as you have the hdd space

imag1narynumber
December 4th, 2008, 03:29 AM
install it from command line if you already have ubuntu installed and keep everything intact so long as you have the hdd space

I'm currently running Mandriva.

imag1narynumber
December 4th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Anyone?

imag1narynumber
December 5th, 2008, 05:18 PM
So this is the wonderful community I hear about?

omegamike3
December 5th, 2008, 05:28 PM
While I'm not terribly familiar with Mandriva, I would assume that just like most other distro migrates/upgrades, you would just want to backup your home directory and then move everything back after the Studio install. This should move all of your configuration back. Granted, that's assuming as well that Enlightenment keeps any configuration settings in the home directory as well. I find that rsync works best for a quick onetime backup of your home directory.

imag1narynumber
December 6th, 2008, 03:58 PM
While I'm not terribly familiar with Mandriva, I would assume that just like most other distro migrates/upgrades, you would just want to backup your home directory and then move everything back after the Studio install. This should move all of your configuration back. Granted, that's assuming as well that Enlightenment keeps any configuration settings in the home directory as well. I find that rsync works best for a quick onetime backup of your home directory.

Thanks for the answer.