PDA

View Full Version : battery discharge option in grub

suoko
December 4th, 2008, 02:51 AM
is there an app like memtest to discharge the battery ?
i usually prefer to completely discharge it before recharging since i never believed the no memory effect.
it could just throttle CPU at max speed with some fullscreen blinking colors

Kosimo
December 4th, 2008, 02:52 AM
is there an app like memtest to discharge the battery ?
i usually prefer to completely discharge it before recharging since i never believed the no memory effect.
it could just throttle CPU at max speed with some fullscreen blinking colors

Have a look if your BIOS may have this option. Many laptops do.

mihai.ile
December 4th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Did you read about on the net about how laptop battery works?
From what I know on the net you are destroying the battery.

Ok now from my own experience. My laptop has 3 years and a half and my battery is 41% at full capacity. What I noticed over the years is that the capacity decreased only when I had to discharge the battery below 5% of energy or when I had the battery out of the laptop for some weeks (I had to send the laptop in for repairs)

Now it's up to you if you want to discharge the battery but be sure you read about it so you don't ruin your battery.

suoko
December 4th, 2008, 02:16 PM
unfortunately the eeePC doesn't have a BIOS option for battery discharge.
regarding the 5% minimum charge, i hope that's handled by the battery itself.
i must admit that's true for mobiles, which go off when battery ends but if you try to re-switch them on, they usually have some energy left.
the eeePC seems to consume it all since you can't do anything when the battery ends.
probably i could safely start rechargin when the battery led blinks...

ssam
December 4th, 2008, 04:52 PM
i recommend that you find out what chemistry is used in your battery, and what is the best way to look after it.

mintochris
December 4th, 2008, 05:31 PM
the eepc battery will last longer if you do not completely drain it every time.
It prefers to be topped up. This isn't a matter of whether you believe it or not, but that the battery has different chemicals inside.

jdong
December 4th, 2008, 05:37 PM
To the OP, lithium-ion and lithium-polymer batteries DO NOT like being completely discharged. In fact, doing so over time will lead to shorter battery lifespan. It's rarely necessary to do a full discharge and recharge -- in fact on modern batteries I'd estimate less than once per 6 months to re-calibrate the remaining charge meter. It doesn't have ANY effect on the capacity, just on the calculation of the remaining capacity. Do this when your battery indicated 40% but the system suddenly shut off 2 seconds later, or when the system has been indicating 0% for the past 2 hours but the system is still running ;-)

Historically, only NiCd had a memory effect where a non-full recharge would reduce in temporarily reduced capacity. NiCds were designed so that deep-draining them does not hurt them.

Newer NiMH'es are also designed to be charged whenever you want to. A deep discharge of a NiMH 1.2V cell below 0.90V also causes damage to the cell -- this is a well-known phenomenon in the LED flashlight enthusiast community, where NOBODY wants to use their expensive $5 2800mAh AA's to do a low-output-mode runtime test. Active testers have reported loss of half of battery capacity in just 5 or so of these discharge cycles.

PbSO4 (lead-acid automobile) batteries are also not designed to be full-discharged, unless they are the marine deep-cycling variant, which has a lower peak amperage. In fact, a full low-current discharge of a lead-acid car battery almost ruins it.

For more info on battery chemistries and care, I'd strongly recommend reading http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone.htm

mihai.ile
December 5th, 2008, 09:59 AM
in reply to OP, about the post above, i could not agree more. That's why I said that my battery loosed capacity when fully discharged, it doesn't matter if it gone to only 5% or 15%, it's too low for the battery.
I'm trying not to let my li-ion batteries discharge, and I'm charging them whenever possible.