PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Darkness, nothing but darkness.....

johnno56
December 4th, 2008, 12:45 AM
I have both used the ISO image from a PC mag and downloaded (twice) the ISO image of 8.10 I performed the "check cd" option at bootup. CD is ok. I have also run the "try before" option after booting cd and the "install" option.

When I "try ubuntu" the CD goes through its paces, the screen goes black, the logon "sound" is heard, but the screen is still black. Cannot tell if mouse or keyboard are working.

When I try the "install" option, the CD goes through its normal stuff. Selected "English". selected "Install". CD does its thing then the screen goes black and just sits like that.

It was a good thing I did not "Upgrade" from 8.04 and descided to install on a seperate HDD.

I know it's only early days for 8.10 , but I would appreciate a sollution. Until then, I will quite happily "soldier on" with 8.04

Regards

J

taurus
December 4th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Have you tried the alternate CD? It's a text based installer but should be real easy to follow.

Partyboi2
December 4th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Or try safe graphics mode F4 at the main menu of the live cd.

johnno56
December 4th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Alternate CD?

--------------------------

How can changing the install screen to "safe" have any effect on the screen after installation? But, I'll give a try, anyway.

--------------------------

Thanks for replying so quickly.

J

johnno56
December 4th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Do not worry about alternate CD. A bit of googling found it. Wow, it's been a long time since I installed Ubuntu in text mode.

"Alternate" installed just fine, using F4, safe grafix mode. Rebooted. (sorry, force of habit) 8.10 ran fine. Once! Every time after, you guessed it, blackness.

Thanks for all the suggestions. But I think I will stick with 8.04 for a little while yet. After searching through this and other forums, it appears that, I am not the only one with this problem.

I believe a bit of patience, and a timely fix release, will have 8.10 up and running just fine.

Regards

J