PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] Intreped/GNOME - Right click on desktop menu disappeared!?

Rubicon421
December 4th, 2008, 12:17 AM
My right mouse button works fine everywhere else, but the desktop right click menu quit working. The one with create folder, or file, etc..

Is there a setting somewhere that might have changed? Would it have anything to do with using xscript instead of GNOME for logging into the session? I tried both earlier and didn't see any difference, but maybe it changed some setting.

Rubicon421
December 4th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I tried restarting and unplugging the mouse and plugging it back in. And I looked all over for some setting that might have something to do with it. I'm not sure what is going on. Right click works everywhere except in empty spots on the desktop. I have screenlets and avant installed, and right clicking any object from them works fine.

Rubicon421
December 4th, 2008, 07:46 PM
bump

Rubicon421
December 7th, 2008, 02:19 PM
More info:

Files/folders saved to desktop are not showing up either. If I open a file manager and go to the folder for the desktop, the files/folders saved there are actually there but they are not being displayed on the desktop itself.

Also, I have recently started using Avant Window Navigator and Screenlets. Could it be a setting in either of them that is causing this?

Rubicon421
December 8th, 2008, 07:32 PM
OK, I'm starting to think about reinstalling Ubuntu pretty soon. Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this? Is there a way to restore settings in the OS without affecting any of the installed programs?

Rubicon421
December 8th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Well, I don't know what I did but the right click menu is back- but now my screenlets don't work! I logged out of the GNOME session and logged in with the xscript option, then back to GNOME a few times just seeing if there was any difference. Now I have right click menus in both logins but no screenlets in either! The screenlet control settings program is still in the startup and the icon shows up in the panel in both logins but the screenlets them selves won't show up.

Cammy
December 8th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Did you get your files/folders on the desktop to show up?

Sorry, but I've no clue as to what could be going on with the screenlets.

Rubicon421
December 8th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Sorry, forgot to add that. Yes, the files and folders on the desktop have reappeared. Wish I new why or what made them go away in the first place. Now if I can only get the screenlets back.

Benismyhorse
December 9th, 2008, 07:48 AM
When my Gnome screwed up before I was told to go to terminal and enter:
rm -r /home/USER/.gconf
this will reset ALL your gnome settings e.g. Desktop, Panel, Theme to the Ubuntu defaults but I think this should work in your case.

Benismyhorse
December 9th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I know from locking down ubuntu that the reason you lost right click/Desktop Icons was because there is an option in gconf-editor that disables the nautilus desktop.