PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.10 wont run but UE8.10 will !

razy60
December 3rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
I have been trying to install and run on a Dell 2400 desktop Ubuntu 8.10.

I have 2 drives one 80gig and one 40gig the 80 is set as master the 40 as slave.
At the moment i have 8.04 on the 80 which runs no bother, so i thought id give 8.10 a go and install it on the 40, I have tried various disks all of them will eventually let me install but only after a number of attempts, this includes getting them to run as live CD. I then found Ultimate Edition 2.0 which is just a jazzed up version of 8.10, that runs as a live disc and installed no problem.
The discs will run and install OK on my laptop, I have checked the discs for errors and checked their md5sums, no errors shown.
Essentially i can get them to install but when i have to restart i get as far as screen just after log in, at which point it stalls and the curser just sits there flashing, the heavier U.E 8.10 installs and runs no bother(would have thought it would have had more problems considering the extra load on graphics).
I know this is a bit of a rambling post but i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as why this would be?

Cheers

Raz