PDA

View Full Version : Twitter?

Dr Small
December 3rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
Should I get a twitter account?
I mean, what would it really benefit me, if I had one?
Do geeks use twitter?

I'm kinda leery about using twitter, considering I remember awhile back about the owner was the one commenting on censoring the internet, and twitter is closely watched for "terrorist activity".

Just wondering.

sydbat
December 3rd, 2008, 06:44 PM
From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter)
Twitter collects personally identifiable information about its users and shares it with third parties. Twitter considers that information an asset, and reserves the right to sell it if the company changes hands.Also
Fans say they are a good way to keep in touch with busy friends. But some users are starting to feel 'too' connected, as they grapple with check-in messages at odd hours, higher cellphone bills and the need to tell acquaintances to stop announcing what they're having for dinner."Up to you in the end. Of course I'm not much for social engineering networking...

chucky chuckaluck
December 3rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
wait for the movie.

Joeb454
December 3rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
identi.ca (http://identi.ca)?

I know a lot of forum members who have an identi.ca account

Dr Small
December 3rd, 2008, 06:49 PM
AlsoUp to you in the end. Of course I'm not much for social engineering networking...

I am not either. That's why I was asking.
I don't use Facebook, Myspace, or any other Social Networking site. But just thought I'd ask.

Mazza558
December 3rd, 2008, 06:49 PM
I have an account, but I don't see the point of constantly updating it. What I do is use it for current events. If I'm keeping track of something that's happening right now, I can quickly start/join a topic and most my experience.

For example, I was following the U.S election this year (I study Politics) and twitter was invaluable at providing up-to-date info from around the U.S and elsewhere.

mentallaxative
December 3rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
Do you have a lot of friends who use Twitter? None of mine do, so I'm not too keen on it.

linuxguymarshall
December 3rd, 2008, 07:21 PM
Honestly I don't find much use for my Twitter account. Myspace and Facebook keep me connected.

steeleyuk
December 3rd, 2008, 07:23 PM
I vote for Identi.ca as well.

jpeddicord
December 3rd, 2008, 07:31 PM
Should I get a twitter account?
I mean, what would it really benefit me, if I had one?
Do geeks use twitter?

I'm kinda leery about using twitter, considering I remember awhile back about the owner was the one commenting on censoring the internet, and twitter is closely watched for "terrorist activity".

Just wondering.

NO. You should get an identi.ca/laconica account, that's where all of the cool kids hang out. Link in my signature.

lincoln32
December 3rd, 2008, 07:40 PM
Local police will twitter local events such as traffic or police action in your area. my wife is a teacher and her school was locked down several times due to a bank robbery and a home invasion all with in 2 blocks but she had no idea till the next day what had happened we now are both twitter users if there is freeway accident I can avoid it now. but we do not use for casual contacting

TheLinuxNewb
December 3rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
Its also good for bloggers who wish to "tweet" people when they blog. I have not personally done this, but I know people who have.

Dr Small
December 3rd, 2008, 08:18 PM
Do you have a lot of friends who use Twitter? None of mine do, so I'm not too keen on it.
I know of a few people using it, that's why I was considering it.

I vote for Identi.ca as well.
Thanks. I may look into it.

NO. You should get an identi.ca/laconica account, that's where all of the cool kids hang out. Link in my signature.
Thank-you too. I'll be checking them out and see how I like it. Although I wouldn't be using it to 'tweet' my every action, I thought it would be neat to occasionally say something to someone across it.

Then again, that's what I have jabber for :D

jpeddicord
December 3rd, 2008, 09:39 PM
I know of a few people using it, that's why I was considering it.

Thanks. I may look into it.

Thank-you too. I'll be checking them out and see how I like it. Although I wouldn't be using it to 'tweet' my every action, I thought it would be neat to occasionally say something to someone across it.

Then again, that's what I have jabber for :D

Better yet, get both and download Gwibber. You can post/receive to both services at the same time and follow those who haven't quite discovered identi.ca. :p

-grubby
December 4th, 2008, 01:00 AM
I have an identi.ca and Twitter account. Both are great. I never use them anymore, though.

dannytatom
December 4th, 2008, 01:48 AM
I'm addicted to Twitter, so I say go for it. ;)

Depending on who you follow, it's a great way to stay up-to-date in whatever niche you're into.

fedex1993
December 4th, 2008, 04:02 AM
both seem pretty pointless to me any social network does ecept IRC and IM are the ways to go :D