PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can i install kde on ubuntu?

24dhruv
December 3rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
can i install kde on ubuntu if yes then can i run both desktop environments together?how?please tell here if u know

Zorael
December 3rd, 2008, 02:28 PM
Certainly!

If you open up Synaptic and tag the kubuntu-desktop package, you will get a complete Kubuntu installation alongside your current one. That includes all applications and artwork, including the boot splash screen.

If you only want to try out KDE, tag kde-core for installation; that will pull all the necessary dependencies. You'll miss out on the neato *experience*, but if you're not sure you'll like the environment you may want to start small.

During installation it will ask you what login manager you want as your default; gdm (GNOME) or kdm (KDE, duh). The choice is mostly cosmetic for the end user - you'll get an Ubuntu theme if gdm and a KDE4 theme if kdm.

When logging in, you can pick between GNOME and KDE in the "Sessions" dropdown menu.

24dhruv
December 3rd, 2008, 02:35 PM
which one is better? and how to remove one of them after install isit jjust about uninstalling a package?

OrangeCrate
December 3rd, 2008, 02:38 PM
Installing KDE on Ubuntu...

http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde

nahian
December 10th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I've installed kubuntu-desktop package & kde-core also
but the theame dosent change
only I got some extra icon package & kubuntu softwares
but how can I change my desktop look like kubuntu
thank you

oldos2er
December 10th, 2008, 08:52 PM
You need to log out, change session, then log back in.

jastonas
December 11th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Be careful.. it might get messy! Too many programs are installed, icons will change etc etc..

Captain_tux
December 11th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Which one is better?

They each have their pros and cons, but that's entirely up to you... YOUR user experience is what matters.

tubunu
April 7th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Be careful.. it might get messy! Too many programs are installed, icons will change etc etc..

Is there any way of avoiding the mess? New Jaunty should have a feature separating KDE menu options from GNOME. Would anyone agree?

tubunu
April 22nd, 2009, 11:49 PM
What is the status of installing kde-desktop on top of Ubuntu? 9.04 RC and 9.04 beta users, please share your experience.

afazel
April 23rd, 2009, 02:10 AM
I've done this, but the resolution is all messed up. I've been running Ubuntu on my 1080p TV and it's fine, but when I log into a KDE session, nothing seems to fit anywhere.

To make matters worse, the Google has failed me for the first time ever

Sjums07
April 23rd, 2009, 01:24 PM
DONT!!! this isn't a positive experience :P you could just use the KDE apps like kate, konversation etc. :p much better :D

tubunu
April 23rd, 2009, 11:37 PM
That's what I thought.. Thanks.