PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Metasploit Framework in Inrepid Ibex-Tutorial

theravenproject
December 3rd, 2008, 12:28 PM
First we have to get subversion and build essential;

sudo apt-get install build-essential subversion

Now we need the Ruby requirements for Metasploit:

sudo apt-get install libruby rdoc libyaml-ruby libzlib-ruby libopenssl-ruby libdl-ruby libreadline-ruby libiconv-ruby rubygems sqlite3 libsqlite3-ruby libsqlite3-dev

Next, Ibex comes with a non-compatible default ruby install (Version 1.8.7) so you can get it from ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.8/ruby-1.8.6-p111.tar.bz2 or use the following to do so automatically from the shell using wget:

wget ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.8/ruby-1.8.6-p111.tar.bz2

Now we remove our previously installed Ruby package:

sudo apt-get remove ruby

Then we extract, configure, make, and install our new version:

#tar -jvxf ruby-1.8.6-p111.tar.bz2

#cd ruby-1.8.6-p111

#./configure

#make

#sudo make install

Now to install metasploit:

svn co http://metasploit.com/svn/framework3/trunk/ metasploit-svn and then lastly-

to check it out we will cd into the msf-svn directory and run the console!

cd metasploit-svn

./msfconsole

And that should bring up your console-from here on out rely on metasploits documentation for usage!

sam0vi
March 9th, 2009, 11:35 PM
HI. I've found your post quite useful, but even though i followed your steps down to the letter, i can't get metasploit to work. whenever i try to run any of the interfaces i get errors. For msfconsole and msfgui i get

smv@max1:~/metasploit-svn$ ./msfgui
/home/smv/metasploit-svn/lib/rex/text.rb:1:in `require': no such file to load -- digest/md5 (LoadError)
from /home/smv/metasploit-svn/lib/rex/text.rb:1
from /home/smv/metasploit-svn/lib/rex.rb:44:in `require'
from /home/smv/metasploit-svn/lib/rex.rb:44
from ./msfgui:14:in `require'
from ./msfgui:14

And for msfweb i get

smv@max1:~/metasploit-svn$ ./msfweb
./lib/rex/text.rb:1:in `require': no such file to load -- digest/md5 (LoadError)
from ./lib/rex/text.rb:1
from ./lib/rex.rb:44:in `require'
from ./lib/rex.rb:44
from ./lib/msf/core.rb:16:in `require'
from ./lib/msf/core.rb:16
from ./lib/msf/base.rb:19:in `require'
from ./lib/msf/base.rb:19
from ./msfweb:15:in `require'
from ./msfweb:15

Any clues as to what this messages mean? I can't really understand what they mean. thanx

tekkenhead
March 12th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I have metasploit installed in hardy heron and to have msfgui interface to work i had to also install the following packages libglade2-ruby and libgtk2-ruby. I hope this helps.

RaghuRam
May 1st, 2009, 04:37 AM
I installed everything as per the stesp, and I also installed
# apt-get install libgtk2-ruby libglade2-ruby

but msfconsole starts with some errors about loading modules:

root@r00t3r:/home/aditya/metasploit-svn# ./msfconsole
WARNING! The following modules could not be loaded!

/home/aditya/metasploit-svn/modules/auxiliary/scanner/telephony/wardial.rb: LoadError (eval):9:in `require': no such file to load -- zlib

/home/aditya/metasploit-svn/modules/exploits/windows/fileformat/adobe_jbig2decode.rb: LoadError (eval):9:in `require': no such file to load -- zlib

/home/aditya/metasploit-svn/modules/auxiliary/pdf/foxit/authbypass.rb: LoadError (eval):9:in `require': no such file to load -- zlib

/home/aditya/metasploit-svn/modules/exploits/windows/browser/adobe_jbig2decode.rb: LoadError (eval):9:in `require': no such file to load -- zlib

/home/aditya/metasploit-svn/modules/exploits/windows/fileformat/adobe_geticon.rb: LoadError (eval):9:in `require': no such file to load -- zlib

/home/aditya/metasploit-svn/modules/exploits/windows/fileformat/adobe_utilprintf.rb: LoadError (eval):9:in `require': no such file to load -- zlib

/home/aditya/metasploit-svn/modules/exploits/windows/browser/adobe_geticon.rb: LoadError (eval):9:in `require': no such file to load -- zlib

/home/aditya/metasploit-svn/modules/exploits/windows/fileformat/adobe_collectemailinfo.rb: LoadError (eval):9:in `require': no such file to load -- zlib

/home/aditya/metasploit-svn/modules/exploits/windows/browser/adobe_utilprintf.rb: LoadError (eval):9:in `require': no such file to load -- zlib

RaghuRam
May 1st, 2009, 12:34 PM
I forgot to mention .. msfweb and msfgui didnt run because of errors. Now I managed to install ruby properly. I will write the steps. However my msfgui is still not running. I resinstalled gtk but ultimately it gave me this error:

root@r00t3r:/home/aditya/pentest/metasploit# ./msfgui
The msfgui interface requires the ruby-gtk2 and ruby-libglade2 packages
Dependencies include ruby-pango, ruby-glib2, ruby-gdkpixbuf2, and ruby-atk
[-] Error: LoadError /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux/gtk2.so: undefined symbol: rbgobj_id_children - /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux/gtk2.so
root@r00t3r:/home/aditya/pentest/metasploit#

No clue on this.

RaghuRam
May 1st, 2009, 01:12 PM
I will explain the way I installed everything.

1. First install the mentioned packages thru apt-get.

apt-get install ruby libruby rdoc libgtk2-ruby libglade2-ruby libyaml-ruby libzlib-ruby libopenssl-ruby libdl-ruby libreadline-ruby libiconv-ruby sqlite3 libsqlite3-ruby irb

Dont install rubygems from apt-get.

2. Then install ruby from source
http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/55372/ruby-1.8.7-p160.tar.gz
3. THen install rubygem from source
http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/55066/rubygems-1.3.2.tgz
4. then using gem, install rails.

gem install rails5. Check ur ruby/rail installation by this test script

rails testappIt will create a folder testapp
In it, run

./script/serverif u get no error, means ur basic ruby install was fine. Cant be sure about gtk.
6. Finally get msf through svn

In the 5th step while running msfconsole I got the zlib errors:
This is what I did for the zlib errors. Also whenever I used gem, it gave me one of zlib errors:

/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in
`gem_original_require’: no such file to load — zlib (LoadError) I resolved this by installing zlib package from here:

http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/zlib-Download-159.html

Btw, I got the clue after reading this page:

http://bluescripts.net/2009/03/ruby-ruby-on-rails/ (http://bluescripts.net/2009/03/ruby-ruby-on-rails/)

So, after resolving zlib, it gave me an openssl error in step 5 :

`require_frameworks': no such file to load -- openssl (RuntimeError)I reached ruby-1.8.7-p160/ext/openssl in my ruby source folder, and ran

ruby extconf.rb THis checks whether your openssl configuration is perfect for the install or not. It gave me a missing file (ssl.h) errors.

THough Openssl was installed still I didnt have any source files anywhere . So I installed the development package for openssl.

apt-get install libssl-devAgain I went in the ruby source directory and used the following commands

make clean
./configure
make
make installTHen go to the rubygems source, and run

ruby setup.rbThis will install rubygems.

Install rails.

gem install railsRun the testapp Webrick server.

rails testapp
cd testapp
./script/serverIf this is successful, you can assume your ruby installation was fine.

RaghuRam
May 1st, 2009, 01:20 PM
In case you see errors like this:

root@r00t3r:/home/aditya/pentest/metasploit# ./msfgui
The msfgui interface requires the ruby-gtk2 and ruby-libglade2 packages
Dependencies include ruby-pango, ruby-glib2, ruby-gdkpixbuf2, and ruby-atk
[-] Error: LoadError libruby1.8.so.1.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory - /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux/gtk2.so

You can check the libraries being used by ldd. I just found that I had accidentally removed one file.

ldd gtk2.so
linux-gate.so.1 => (0xb8031000)
libruby1.8.so.1.8 => not found

If some library is not found, that sure is a bad indication.

zenial
September 21st, 2009, 01:20 AM
first we have to get subversion and build essential;

sudo apt-get install build-essential subversion

now we need the ruby requirements for metasploit:

sudo apt-get install libruby rdoc libyaml-ruby libzlib-ruby libopenssl-ruby libdl-ruby libreadline-ruby libiconv-ruby rubygems sqlite3 libsqlite3-ruby libsqlite3-dev

next, ibex comes with a non-compatible default ruby install (version 1.8.7) so you can get it from ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.8/ruby-1.8.6-p111.tar.bz2 or use the following to do so automatically from the shell using wget:

wget ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.8/ruby-1.8.6-p111.tar.bz2

now we remove our previously installed ruby package:

sudo apt-get remove ruby

then we extract, configure, make, and install our new version:

#tar -jvxf ruby-1.8.6-p111.tar.bz2

#cd ruby-1.8.6-p111

#./configure

#make

#sudo make install

now to install metasploit:

svn co http://metasploit.com/svn/framework3/trunk/ metasploit-svn and then lastly-

to check it out we will cd into the msf-svn directory and run the console!

cd metasploit-svn

./msfconsole

and that should bring up your console-from here on out rely on metasploits documentation for usage!:ks