PDA

View Full Version : Dish Network ViP722 HD-DVR

toupeiro
December 3rd, 2008, 09:43 AM
I finally took the plunge over to Dish network, and so far I really like it. The quality of the picture and the hardware itself is noticeably better than my cable providor was, but I do have one thing thats bugging me, I'm hoping someone else has been down this road and can save the day! :)

I have my ViP722 hooked up to my broadband, and I also have a 16GB usb 2.0 memory stick with some DiVX movies on it. What I want to be able to do is be able to play these DiVX files from the ViP722. I've googled this to death, but I only find posts of people wanting to take their recorded shows and play them on their PC. I have no desire to do this whatsoever... It seems, one way or another (USB or LAN) this box should have the abilities to do this, and I am hoping I am just missing something.

Now, I read that their may be come encryption going on with the files themselves, but that the DVR actually formats external media to EXT3. So the question is, if you can't get it to read DiVX format, can you make it read any other format?

I'd love to hear what others think!

-T

jerrycrabb
February 15th, 2009, 08:30 PM
This is exactly what I'm looking for also

steveneddy
February 16th, 2009, 12:21 PM
The system on all Dish products is Linux.

I also have Dish hardware and we also recently went to the new DVR line of receivers, buy the only way I can tell is just to hack the box.

It's not exactly what you were looking for, but this may be a step in the right direction.

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/80785-how-get-recorded-events-off-your.html

I wonder what happens if you plug a USB keyboard and mouse into the USB posts on the DVR? think we could control the DVR OS?

moltosmiley
October 20th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I am ready and raring to install any kind of linux on my vip722, but I can't find the right website or forums to get me headed in the right direction. I can't even find evidence of anyone, (besides the fine folks at Dish), installing linux on these.

Anybody have any suggestions as to where to go for info?

pinkyy8081
December 30th, 2010, 06:26 PM
I finally took the plunge over to Dish network, and so far I really like it. The quality of the picture and the hardware itself is noticeably better than my cable providor was, but I do have one thing thats bugging me, I'm hoping someone else has been down this road and can save the day! :)

I have my ViP722 hooked up to my broadband, and I also have a 16GB usb 2.0 memory stick with some DiVX movies on it. What I want to be able to do is be able to play these DiVX files from the ViP722. I've googled this to death, but I only find posts of people wanting to take their recorded shows and play them on their PC. I have no desire to do this whatsoever... It seems, one way or another (USB or LAN) this box should have the abilities to do this, and I am hoping I am just missing something.

Now, I read that their may be come encryption going on with the files themselves, but that the DVR actually formats external media to EXT3. So the question is, if you can't get it to read DiVX format, can you make it read any other format?

I'd love to hear what others think!

-T

Hey There! My name is Danielle and I work at DISH. I see that you have a 722 and I really do hope you are enjoying it! I have a ton of experience with this reciever and I love playing with it but now the Sling Adapter is now compatible with your model reciever. You can also watch your TV anywhere you go especially if you have a smartphone. Now I do see where you mention the DIVX movies on the memory stick. You can not watch those movies on the VIP 722 because you do have to format the external device which deletes whatever is on your memory device. If you have any questions please let me know, I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have :)!

Jgrahamz
July 15th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Hey daniell, I work for dish also do you know. At all any way to put ubuntu on the 722 ? That is working side by side with current software. I'm just looking for somewere to start. I also work for dish as a tech and I know this can be done somehow.

Bandit
July 15th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Hey daniell, I work for dish also do you know. At all any way to put ubuntu on the 722 ? That is working side by side with current software. I'm just looking for somewere to start. I also work for dish as a tech and I know this can be done somehow.

Old thread,, necrosis is bad..