PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.10 Installation problem

kaemran
December 3rd, 2008, 08:38 AM
Hi,
My PC configuration is AMD AthlonXP 1800+ with 768 DDR RAM, nVdia GEFORCE FX5200 AGP. I am facing problem during installation of Ubuntu8.10. After booting from installer CD when i try to install after 30% File copying it gives error like I/O Error and installation ends. I have tried with different installation CD but same problem. Please help me finding the problem with installation.

inobe
December 3rd, 2008, 09:07 AM
was the error similar to dev sr0 ?

if so' that may be a problem with your cd rom drive !

falcon61102
December 3rd, 2008, 09:20 AM
How are you burning your CDs and are you using CD-R's?

Ubuntu is very picky about CDs and it's best to burn a Ubuntu CD at 1x and only to CD-R's. Also, when you boot up, select the Check CD option to ensure you have a good CD.

kaemran
December 3rd, 2008, 09:43 AM
I wrote installer cd on 10x speed...i think that was the problem...let me try with 1x speed. thanks.

Happypants
December 3rd, 2008, 09:48 AM
How are you burning your CDs and are you using CD-R's?

Ubuntu is very picky about CDs and it's best to burn a Ubuntu CD at 1x and only to CD-R's. Also, when you boot up, select the Check CD option to ensure you have a good CD.

Not to downplay what you said; the Check CD before install advice is great.

But, I've never had a problem with installing Ubuntu disks burnt at much higher speeds. Maybe it's the brand (Verbatim all the way, btw), but I've had it burnt at speeds between 16 and 52x with no real issues.

falcon61102
December 3rd, 2008, 09:53 AM
Yeah, I know plenty of people, including myself, that have been able to burn CDs at higher speeds and still have them work fine, but there are also plenty accounts of the CD being corrupt due to high burn speeds and loss of data. And when troubleshooting you might as well start with the simplest thing to fix or eliminate as being the problem and work your way towards the harder things.

Happypants
December 3rd, 2008, 10:21 AM
Ahh... I gotcha... You'll have to forgive a nub at this computer stuff. ;)

falcon61102
December 3rd, 2008, 10:36 AM
No worries.