PDA

View Full Version : Linux netbooks looks likely in Australian Schools

I-75
December 3rd, 2008, 07:28 AM
Linux netbooks look likely to save Australian government education election promise

by David M Williams
Wednesday, 03 December 2008

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/22063/1141/

"The New South Wales (NSW) Department of Education and Training (DET) has today revealed its required specifications for custom-built laptops ... and it seems most likely that, in a blow to Microsoft, a variant of Linux will be chosen as the operating system to power the units given that Linux attracts no licensing fees whatsoever and has been proven to work on low powered hardware already."

mentallaxative
December 3rd, 2008, 08:33 AM
It only says 'most likely'. It's not a definite yes. I have this cynical feeling that the Australian government will end up increasing the budget to accommodate Windows. Linux isn't exactly a big thing here, sadly.

itsStephen
December 3rd, 2008, 08:35 AM
Looks like we don't get them in Tasmania :(

My school has already been spending their huge computer money. We've got loads of crappy new Acer computers.

btw my hard drive is making weird noises, thought i'd spread the word

Chilli Bob
December 3rd, 2008, 08:43 AM
If I was in charge I'd just get a Linux eeebox and a 19" monitor for each workstation. With bulk purchasing power they could get them dirt cheap, plus no windowsesque security problems.

That would make too much sense though.

TTown
December 3rd, 2008, 09:46 AM
I hope they give olpc's XO a real chance.
No bloatware.
But an educational concept (unlike eeepcs and classmates)

Chame_Wizard
December 3rd, 2008, 11:50 AM
LINUX/MAC to the max :D.

stinger30au
December 3rd, 2008, 12:40 PM
i really do hope they install Linux.... what cares what version it is, so long as it is linux

earthpigg
December 3rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
i really do hope they install Linux.... what cares what version it is, so long as it is linux

its very important what distro they choose.

no impression is better than a bad impression.

these are teenagers - once they form an opinion, they will probably stick to it for a decade to come.

EdThaSlayer
December 3rd, 2008, 02:24 PM
They always say this, and then Microsoft hears about it and just offers their software for a dirt-cheap price to keep them from converting. :p

Jengajam2
December 3rd, 2008, 02:27 PM
its very important what distro they choose.

no impression is better than a bad impression.

these are teenagers - once they form an opinion, they will probably stick to it for a decade to come.

I bet they'll choose Debian, or a variant of it.

handy
December 3rd, 2008, 02:33 PM
It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Johnsie
December 3rd, 2008, 04:36 PM
Microsoft will just give them it. They already give free software to university students all over the world. It's just to make sure most people are taught/know Windows.

With regard to other similar projects in 3rd world countries, I find it very disturbing that some fans of the OLPC project want to take advantage of poor people just to promote Linux/Windows . OLPC shouldn't be exploited like that by Linux or Windows people. It doesn't matter what operating system is on there, as long as they can get an education. Personally I'd rather give them medicine and farming equipment though.