PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Stressed with Ubuntu

Vorge
December 3rd, 2008, 03:14 AM
I don't want to use Ubuntu anymore. I just wanted my Windows XP back so thats what I planed to do. But Wait! My computer needed to find another way to **** me off! WOO-HOO! I put in my Windows CD and in my BIOS said to boot from CD. And it didn't work. Nothing happened. It just went along booting Ubuntu from the hard drive as usual! I want to remove Ubuntu,not a double boot, and just install Windows XP. I have nothing valuable at all on that computer, so I have no problem with wiping the hard drive completely. So.... Any advice:?:

mdszepher
December 3rd, 2008, 03:18 AM
Just to clear things up, you pressed a keyboard button when it asked you to boot from the cd?

JacKeown
December 3rd, 2008, 03:19 AM
Do you have it set to run your dvd drive or cd drive if you have 2 make sure it's in the right drive and is the right type (dvd or cd)
also make sure it's #1 in your boot options.

Vorge
December 3rd, 2008, 03:24 AM
It is #1 on the list and after I switched the order I went to the exit menu and pressed SAVE CHANGES AND EXIT. If I'm not understanding the first reply, It never asked me to boot from CD except when I changed the order in the BIOS.

oilchangeguy
December 3rd, 2008, 03:49 AM
It is #1 on the list and after I switched the order I went to the exit menu and pressed SAVE CHANGES AND EXIT. If I'm not understanding the first reply, It never asked me to boot from CD except when I changed the order in the BIOS.

when you boot from the xp cd, you should get a prompt that says press any key to boot from cd. if you don't press it in time, it will boot into whatever os is there. and make sure the boot order is correct. it does not matter if the cd or dvd drive is first. as long as the first boot item is a cd drive. i've not seen a bios that will notice the difference between a dvd or cd drive in the boot selection tab.

AliTabuger7
December 3rd, 2008, 03:49 AM
Is it possible your windows disk is damaged?

Can you boot from any other CDs?

crwmike
December 3rd, 2008, 03:50 AM
If I'm not understanding the first reply, It never asked me to boot from CD except when I changed the order in the BIOS.

When booting a Windows Install CD, it will ask if you want to boot from the CD, pressing enter will boot the CD. If no key is press when it times out, it boot from the hard drive.

I remember it being a short timeout.

Vorge
December 3rd, 2008, 04:18 AM
I can boot from the Ubuntu Live CD.