PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade FAIL

dregs
December 3rd, 2008, 02:19 AM
I'm not asking for advice here--I didn't write down what happened, so I can't provide the necessary info to file a bug. Maybe someone else had the same experience I had though.

I was upgrading Ubuntu Studio to 8.10 through the GUI (clicked on "Release 8,10 is Available" in Synaptic). Things went OK, then it said the upgrade had failed but it would roll it back to a working state for me.

But when I booted the machine, it failed to load a theme in Gnome (maybe the custom one I selected no longer existed) and the keyboard and mouse no longer worked. No keyboard or mouse = no Ctrl-Alt-F1 so I couldn't even get into a shell.

I ended up taking out the hard drive (into an external enclosure) and installing a new hard drive (a nifty SSD) so now I have Ubuntu 8.10 running on that machine and my data is still intact on the former internal drive.

But, jeez, what happened.

talsemgeest
December 4th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Running the upgrade is always a very risky process, so it is best to avoid it if you can. I would suggest, when a new release comes out, back up your things and do a clean install as that is almost always the better option.

Also, can you please mark this thread as solved:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPostsTeam/SolvedThreads