PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best/Easiest Program for AVI to DVD?

jazzyditty
December 3rd, 2008, 12:37 AM
I'm in need of a good avi to dvd burning program. The easier to use, the better. I don't need menu's or anything fancy. I just want to burn an avi to a dvd, put it in my dvd player, sit back and watch it.

So, please recommend software that you find to be the easiest for what I need. I'd also prefer that it doesn't watermark the picture.

Thanks in advance!

2hot6ft2
December 3rd, 2008, 12:57 AM
ManDVD looks like it would be real easy although I haven't done any avi to dvd's since my dvd player already plays divx, xvid and such.

element_G
December 3rd, 2008, 01:00 AM
I like ManDVD (http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php/ManDVD?content=83906) however, this is a qt (KDE) prog. and is not a simple 'one click' sort of program.

If you're doing this often enough, just get a DVD player that reads DIVX (there are tons out there for cheap ~$50 CAD) I would recommend an LG or Phillips.

2hot6ft2
December 3rd, 2008, 01:11 AM
I agree mine is a philips (yes 1 L in philips) and it works great and was only around $60 USD a few years ago. After my LG phone experience I'll pass on LG products whenever I can.

Besides if you burn enough avi's to dvd's over time along with the occasional coaster you'll spend more. Whereas you'll save money by just burning the avi's to dvd's and throwing them in the player with 6 avi movies on it. Plus re-encoding it back to MPEG for a dvd you'll lose some quality.

binbash
December 3rd, 2008, 01:34 AM
devede is the best and easiest out there.

jazzyditty
December 3rd, 2008, 01:41 AM
I grabbed manDVD. I will report back once I burn a movie.

I chose that program because although I don't burn often, I typically burn for others, and I don't know what type of player they own, so I'll take the safe route.

Thanks for the suggestions.:KS

jazzyditty
December 5th, 2008, 06:03 AM
As a follow up, upon using mandvd, I was given an error an hour or so after the dvd structure process begun concerning how I set the menu up, which didn't make much sense to me. You'd think they'd check for menu errors prior to creating the dvd structure. So, with that I gave Devede a shot. It created an .iso file of my movie, and I burnt that to dvd using brasero, which was installed with ubuntu. It looked great!!!

Thanks. This thread can be closed!

yohanseh
December 5th, 2008, 07:37 AM
devede...easy to use and setup